Avoid autoreset?

Hi, I was considering to use arduino for an application where the time should be kept and log some data. It would be powered with a battery. But, when connected to the USB to transfer the data, the data (in RAM) and time will be lost (right?). I know I can use eeprom for the data, and maybe set the time again from the PC clock but I wonder if it could be possible to avoid autorreset.

just move the autoreset capacitor with a soldering iron... in 5 secs you're done

just move the autoreset capacitor with a soldering iron... in 5 secs you're done

But forever :) Even if I don't kill all the arduino with the iron, I won't be able to put it again For future versions, is it reasonable to ask for a jumper ?

Well if you only desolder one side then you could always resolder it.

Although a jumper is a idea.

Maybe a DIP switch for things like this capacitor, power source selection and turning off pin 13's LED.

Well if you only desolder one side then you could always resolder it.

This depends on who is at the other side of the iron :slight_smile:

Although a jumper is a idea.
Maybe a DIP switch for things like this capacitor, power source selection and turning off pin 13’s LED.

I was going to suggest this, also (if possible) a 3th jumper or switch to switch off the power led

It's not very hard, you don't have to throw it away :) you just have to move it a bit as for the jumpers I'm sure that every single user has a feature they would like to enable disable, this would make the basic board a jungle of jumpers :)

the basic board, in my opinion, has to stay pretty consistent and has to be simple for the beginner.. for special applications there are now many compatible boards that you can assemble yourself removing what you don't need

massimo

as for the jumpers I'm sure that every single user has a feature they would like to enable disable, this would make the basic board a jungle of jumpers :)

Whats wrong with a DIP switch? Just a little 4 switch one.

Power source, Capacitor, Power LED, Pin 13. I think thats all the customization anyone would require. :)

I agree that the basic board should be kept simple and consistent.

Whats wrong with a DIP switch? Just a little 4 switch one. Power source, Capacitor, Power LED, Pin 13.

1) DIP switches tend not to be rated for 500mA, and aren't usually SPDT. both required for "Power source." 2) DIP switch are big and tall compared to the arudino as a whole. 3) Both dip switches and jumpers are TH components and take up space on both sides of the board, complicating routing on a board that is already pretty crowded.

I'm with Massimo; too many options is not a good thing. A better idea is to find someplace selling bare arduino or freeduino boards and build one appropriate to your specific application (and this is a good reason for bare boards and kits to be available, as well as fully-assembled Arduinos.) Or use one of the existing "run time" or "bare bones" boards that will run Arduino code.

How do you feel about SMT “solder jumpers” - two pads (one one side) close together that you either bridge with solder or not. Somewhat easier to change than the actual component, MUCH smaller and less invasive than a jumper or switch.

That sounds like a great compromise.