AVR Board Update caused an error

I just did a board update as every time I restarted it keeps giving me a error of board needs to be updated.
I made several changes to day to my UNO code before I did the dumb mistake of doing a board upgrade.
I assumed it would not kill my IDE setup, had I given it any thought i would have backed my system first.
I how ever wanted to get some coding done so I skipped that step and did the board update.

Now after I click on upload icon I get this for all files even the example blink file.

i turned on checking

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/etc/avrdude.conf -v true -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM10 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jun 22 2016 at 16:05:21
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/etc/avrdude.conf"

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

I am not using a command prompt, I am clicking the Arrow to the right of the check mark icon.

Yeah, the latest avr boards version has been causing problems.

I don't know the specific fix for that but brute force solution, Uninstall ide, remove c:/users/(your username)/appdata (hidden)/Local/Arduino15 then reinstall 1.6.9 of the ide and don't update boarss

I think that if you just go into "Boards Manager" and install the earlier Arduino AVR Boards version instead of V1.6.12, the problem will (probably) disappear.
I believe that it happens because V1.6.12 of the Arduino AVR Boards also installs a new version of avrdude, which isn't as good as the previous version.

Assuming you're using IDE V1.6.10 at the moment, I'd personally still do as DrAzzy suggests and go back to the more stable 1.6.9. V1.6.10 has a number of problems, not just this one.

N.B. In ">File >Preferences", I've unchecked "Check for updates on startup", because I don't want to know what updates are available. My thinking - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.