avr-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory with 1.6.3

I have been using my Arduino for a few years with no problems. I put 1.6.3 on this weekend and now get avr-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory.

I've looked thought many posts giving ways to get past this error. Nothing has worked.

Also, I have rebooted, removed 1.6.3 and reinstalled, and gone back to 1.6.1. I continue to get the same error.

Any ideas?

Hello,

I just faced this problem 5 minutes ago (Pc under Win 7.... usual month "PC cleaning" activity this morning....and problem this evening...as usual...:{)

I solved it as simply as : * uninstall the arduino software * wiped out the "arduino" folder * reinstall Arduino software (1.6.3 for me)

It worked for me....so...maybe for you or somebody else façing this reccuring problem

Turn on verbose compile logging (in Preferences). Perhaps that will get you a message that says what program it was trying to run when the CreateProcess failed.

What Arduino board are you building for?

Thanks I will try!

I'm also experiencing this. Trying to run " Blink" from examples. Running VISTA, UNO R3, MKII, com 4 (listing the hardware), verbose for compile from preferences, and re downloaded 3 times. Still same error message.

apologies for the necromancy, but i have read practically every thread on the Search results page on this subject (and even a few outside the Arduino.cc site) and i believe i have covered all the "usual tricks".

this all started with trying to upload to a breadboard ATmega328 via CH340G USB-to-TTL converter which is still unresolved on another topic.

this is NOT cross-posting, because it is a NEW issue.

in searching for solutions to the previous topic, i came across a comment that "issues with Serial communications improved a lot with Arduino IDE v.1.5.X and up."

SO; leaving my older laptop (on Win XP) with Arduino 1.0.5 which works FINE otherwise, i proceeded to install a newer Arduino IDE on another laptop (running Vista).

i tried 1.6.7 with the installation package, and also 1.6.2 on a ZIP file and extracted manually.

1) i can confirm it is NOT the "usual culprit" of Environment Variable and that "echo %GCC_EXEC_PREFIX%" results in NO path displaying.

2) there was a suggestion of "cleaning out Java" using JavaRa - i have since uninstalled Java totally - to no avail.

3a) i can confirm that avr-g++.exe is infact in the correct directory of ;

Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin

3b) when using the manual extraction of the ZIP, this was not there (in the base directory, [where it should be according to a CodingBadly post on Mar 03,2010] ) but was in the %APPDATA% folder.

reading another thread that mentioned "A bunch of people have had IDE 1.6.x problems when they have an old 1.5.x/1.6.x installation... bizarre compile errors... caused by out-of-date executables that the new IDE saves outside the IDE installation directory."

i eventually decided to just install the latest version, based on my experience with 3b) above - by using the installation package.

i uninstalled the old Arduino - deleted EVERYTHING in the %APPDATA% (several versions in 'Local' and 'Roaming') and downloaded the 1.8.5.exe

i RESTARTED windows, ran the 1.8.5.exe - and RESTARTED windows again !

now... i started Arduino... loaded Blink.ino and attempted to Upload it to an original Uno.

SAME ERROR !! :(

here is the error message - Verbose compile AND upload;

C:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\New\ArduinoREboot\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_492106 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_435802 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_456065\Blink.ino
C:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\New\ArduinoREboot\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_492106 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_435802 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_456065\Blink.ino
Using board 'uno' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Detecting libraries used...
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_492106\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
Generating function prototypes...
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_492106\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp" -o "C:\Users\{xxx}\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_492106\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
avr-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

i noticed that there were some forward slashes and some back-slashes in the paths above, does that make a difference ?

is the core of this issue, a Windows problem for avr-g++ ?

i had added "%ProgramFiles%\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin" to the path in the Environmental Variables thinking it was a PATH issue - but that didn't change anything.

any ideas on what else i can do now ?

Thanks...

EDIT: FWIW : the folder in %APPDATA% is named "Arduino15"