avr-gcc error

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am brand spankin new to the whole Arduino thing and my first project that I am embarking on is building and SWR analyzer. I am a ham radio operator and build antennas, plus the build looks simple enough. I have all of it together on a breadboard and I am just uploading the code that was provided for this project. When I upload it to my Arduino Micro, I get...

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Micro"

avr-gcc: error: C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Temp\build3449575748990259947.tmp/core.a: No such file or directory Error compiling.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

and I am just uploading the code that was provided for this project.

But, I’m not going to share that code with you.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be very much appreciated.

There’s a hint somewhere in this reply.

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags?
They are made with the </> icon in the reply Menu.
See section 7 http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

Tom… :slight_smile:

avr-gcc: error: C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Temp\build3449575748990259947.tmp/core.a: No such file or directory

Why would this be an error in the source code?

@OP what version of windows are you using?

Try running the IDE as ADMIN.

Mark

Yeah, this isn't a code error. Sometimes when I get it, closing and reopening the IDE helps. If not, try @holmes4 suggestion. And if all else fails, reinstall the IDE.

Thank you guys for your non sarcastic constructive criticisms. For someone who's just joining the forums and just learning about this Arduino stuff, its much appreciated and very welcoming.

holmes4: Why would this be an error in the source code?

@OP what version of windows are you using?

Try running the IDE as ADMIN.

Mark

To answer your question Mark, i am using Windows 7. If there is anything else you need from me let me know. :)

Delta_G: Yeah, this isn't a code error. Sometimes when I get it, closing and reopening the IDE helps. If not, try @holmes4 suggestion. And if all else fails, reinstall the IDE.

I do have an IT background and since it was pointing to a file, I didn't think it was code related either. I had closed the IDE a few times. I suppose I could check to see if by some odd chance there's a hung session or something. I will try what @holmes4 mentioned also.

Thank you both again.

It could be a file permissions thing.

@OP This may sound like a strange question but are you also using a Java IDE such as Netbeans?

Mark

holmes4: @OP This may sound like a strange question but are you also using a Java IDE such as Netbeans?

Mark

Never even heard of Netbeans...lol So no JAVA IDE. :)

I am using v. 1.6.5, turns out I had some Windoze Updates that were waiting to be installed so I let those install and rebooted the computer. I tried again and still get the same error. :( Just to be sure I am doing it right, its the ino file right? There is a .bas file to that was provided for this project too so that's the only reason I am double checking.

The thing I am slightly confused about is why in the path there is a "/" and not a "\". In every other path shown, they all have "\" as you'd typically see.

Windows tends to combine "/" and "\" these days. I don't think that is the issue or it would affect everyone.

This may possibly help: .tmp/core\core.a: No such file or directory · Issue #42 · arduino/arduino-builder · GitHub

Thank you guys again for helping me figure this issue out. I appreciate it very much.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=msg=2464837 date=1446705663] This may possibly help: https://github.com/arduino/arduino-builder/issues/42 [/quote]

Thank you so much for pointing me to this. I did read through it and then went to go download the hourly release and IT WORKS!!! So now I have another series of questions. 1. Should I just use the hourly release from this point on? 2. Do I throw the hourly release files over my current v. 1.6.5 files?

1. Should I just use the hourly release from this point on?

"Hourly release" is another way of saying "not many people have tested it".

1. Do I throw the hourly release files over my current v. 1.6.5 files?

I don't know. Personally I would make a separate copy, in case I ever wanted to go back to the official release.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=msg=2466401 date=1446789559] "Hourly release" is another way of saying "not many people have tested it". Got it. Makes perfect sense. So kind of a "beta release".

I don't know. Personally I would make a separate copy, in case I ever wanted to go back to the official release. [/quote]

This is kind of what I was thinking and this also makes perfect sense to me. I will do that. That gives me two environments to work in and test also. :)

For others fighting this issue in 1.6.6 on the Sparkfun Pro Micro board, switch to 1.6.7 nightly. Then in \hardware\sparkfun\avr, open the platform.txt, go to ## Create archives and find {archive_file} and replace it with {archive_file_path}.

Also, as was stated earlier, the 1.6.7 nightly has this fixed for arduino boards already.