AVR programmer problems with Atmega328 QFP

Hi all,

I try to program an Atmega 32 QFP with an AVR pocket programmer, but... This is what avrdudess give me:

WARNING: Unable to detect MCU

avrdude.exe: Version 6.3, compiled on Feb 17 2016 at 09:25:53
             Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
             Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVRDUDESS\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
             Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude.exe: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
             AVR Part                      : ATmega8
             Chip Erase delay              : 10000 us
             PAGEL                         : PD7
             BS2                           : PC2
             RESET disposition             : dedicated
             RETRY pulse                   : SCK
             serial program mode           : yes
             parallel program mode         : yes
             Timeout                       : 200
             StabDelay                     : 100
             CmdexeDelay                   : 25
             SyncLoops                     : 32
             ByteDelay                     : 0
             PollIndex                     : 3
             PollValue                     : 0x53
             Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
               Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
               ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
               eeprom         4    20   128    0 no        512    4      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
               flash         33    10    64    0 yes      8192   64    128  4500  4500 0xff 0x00
               lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
               hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
               lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
               calibration    0     0     0    0 no          4    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
               signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
             Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude.exe: programmer operation not supported

avrdude.exe: Using SCK period of 10 usec
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

I use a Yamaichi clone for this and that has a ISP. I check all connections and all is good (all pins are connected where they supposed to).
Funny thing is the PDIP on breadboard working fine with the programmer.
Can somebody have a look and give some advices?

Thank you
Gabi

Theres a big with certain versions of avrdude that produd3s that result with USBTinyISP.

It manifests if you've installed latest version of official megaAVR board package, as the board you're compiling uses the newest version installed, and the version that package installs is the one with the bug. I think if you install my megaTinyCore 1.0.5, it will install the newer version of avrdude with the fix, and that will be used instead.

Or uninstall the megaavr board package.

Or use a different ISP programmer, like usbasp

I try it your megaTinycore, but i received the same error. Both Avrdudess and Arduino cannot read the chip. I have an old usbasp which I will update tomorrow.
A quick question.
What do you use to program QFP (meaning hardware - sockets or something else)?

Thank you