AVR vs PIC for production

Hi all,

I came across somebody building a microcontroller project with sensors and serial communication. He was prototyping his project using Arduino but the final production system would be a PIC. As far as I can tell PIC and AVR libraries and code won't compile on each other. Code written for an AVR processor won't work on a PIC without some modifications.

I'm wondering why he would rewrite everything to work on a PIC rather than prototype with an arduino, and then use the same code to program the corresponding AVR chip that was programmed in arduino. As far as I can tell arduino libraries are supported by AVR development tools like atmel studio. It doesn't make sense to me.

Is there something I'm missing here? Are there limitations with using arduino for prototyping and using the AVR chip inside the arduino for production that I am not aware of?

Thanks

I don't think you are missing anything. You would have to ask him why he's taking that approach. It is possible he is just mistaken about thinking they are so similar he can prototype with one and then use the other easily, and will correct his plan. Or he could be particularly brilliant and be able to convert from one to the other including code changes with pretty much no effort.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Not to me, either. Don't worry about it.

There used to be an IDE called MPIDE that supported some PIC chips but it seems now you just add the core to the standard Arduino IDE.
There is also another IDE called UECIDE that supports various MCU’s so the person the OP was referring to may be writing code that is compatible across PIC/AVR.