avrdude: Can't find programmer id "arduino" Linux debian Lenny (solved)

I'm using a USB-boarduino v2.0 I've installed everything, but it seems I have no useable avrdude.conf

Any time i try to upload someting to the board I get:

avrdude: Can't find programmer id "arduino"

There is no arduino in the avrdude.conf Any hints where to get a working one for this board? And ist arduino the correct ID, or do I have to change it to something else EDIT: The above question is the most important to me: Wich is the correct target for the Boarduino, which I should have in the preferences.txt?

EDIT: solved by updating to sqeeze, which was less work than trying to solve the dependency issues, when putting new arduino and avrdude versions in Lenny. Excuse any silly questions in this, for it's my first contact to this microcontroller stuff

thanks mclien

What VERSION of avrdude... you know the drill.

The programmer id has to match the interface you are using the program the arduino. This will go in the preferences.txt file under a line upload.using=_________

You will replace the underscore with the correct designation from the boards.txt file in the arduino IDE's harware folder. For instance if you are using a USB tiny ISP (My favorite) you would write the following line.

upload.using=usbtinyisp

Good Luck

Thanks so far. according to my board.txt: (boarduino, which uses diemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328)

atmega328.name=Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328

atmega328.upload.protocol=arduino

I put this line in my preferences.txt:

upload.using=arduino

which get me this:

Binary sketch size: 1026 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(AvrdudeUploader.java:106)
    at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
    at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
    at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

What brings me back to the avrdude Problem, as I understand it.

I followed an advice for my debian in which someone told me just to use my Lenny installation and put the arduino stuff from wheezy on it. So maybe a have a conflict with the versions... avrdude: 5.5-7 arduino (core): 0022+dfsg (plus the two lobraries it depends on)

Installing a higher version of avrdude gets me deeper in dependency hell, though.

Anybody running it with Squeeze from the Squeeze repos only? (so I might go updating, which gives me another hell called KDE 4.0)

mclien

I have been looking looking around for this kind of information.

The current version of avrdude is something like 5.10 !

And I doubt that your 5.5 supports the arduino-type programmer at all, even if you add it to the config file. Unless of course they supply a patched version, as it requires some changes to the code as well.

If you use the current arduino ide (downloaded from this place), you don't need the 'arduino' programmer type, as the IDE takes care of the reset already. If you want to use avrdude alone, you should get an up-to-date version, or compile it yourself.

OK, for I'd planned to update to Squeeze with Trinity for some time now, i'll take this to start that way. What combination of Distro/ Arduino IDE do you use?

I use openSUSE (11.3) + a self compiled avr-gcc (to get support for the ATtiny4313, as no .rpm is available for that) + the arduino ide downloaded from here. More info is to be found on avrfreaks.net.

Fortunately the suse guys have an up-to-date version of avrdude in their repositories.

I dated my Debian up. Now I have Squeeze with trinity as Desktop. This comes with avrdude 5.10 and arduino 0018, which runs without problems (after deleting the .arduino dir in my homedir. Otherwise I got nullPointerExeptions)