avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (Any help is appreciated) :)

Hi all!!

I’m trying to burn a bootloader on a ATMEGA328 chip I bought from DigiKey. I’m using a brand spanking new UNO to use as an ISP (Arduino as ISP). I’m using Arduino 1.0.1 with a modified boards.txt and avrdude.conf to recognize the ATMEGA328 (not ATMEGA328P like on the Arduinos, the ATMEGA328 has a different signature ‘signature = 0x1e 0x95 0x0f;’ ). I uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch to the UNO and made the following connections (i’m using a ZIF socket for the ATMEGA328 32TQFP):

UNO(pins) Target ATMEGA328(pins)

5v 4,6,18
GND 3,5,21

10(SS) 29
11(MISO) 16(MISO)
12(MOSI) 15(MOSI)
13(SCK) 17(SCK)

Ive got a 10uF cap between the RESET line and GND, polarized negative to GND (dont have any tantalum caps laying around)

I also have a 16MHz resonator on pins 7 & 8 on the ATMEGA328, tied to GND.

The Issue
When I hit Burn Bootloader, I get Device Signature = 0x000000
Invalid device signature.

Now, I remember if it’s communicating but wrong signature, it will print out the signature it’s getting which was similar to 0x1e 0x95 0x0f, but different ( i can remember exactly).

Here’s my setup if you’re interested:
20160405_162851[1].jpg

I feel like I have a hardware issue going on here… Any help is surely appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone,
Nevin

(deleted)

The cap between reset and ground is correct - on the programmer, not the target (to disable autoreset, which can interfere with the upload process).

You do need the pullup on reset.

The image doesn't work because the URL he used is for a page that contains the image, not the image itself.

Ok, so I’ve removed the cap and replaced it with a 10k between reset and 5V on the breadboard.

Still getting the same message though… :confused:

BTW, why would it matter where the cap is placed as long as it’s on the same nodes?

Attached is another pic.
20160405_163751.jpg

ncsteinb: Ok, so I've removed the cap and replaced it with a 10k between reset and 5V on the breadboard.

Still getting the same message though.. :/

BTW, why would it matter where the cap is placed as long as it's on the same nodes?

Attached is another pic.

You need the cap between reset on the PROGRAMMER not the thing you are programming.

You need the 10k pullup from reset of the thing you're programming.

Those two reset lines should not be connected (I can't tell if they are in that picture).

Do you have a 0.1uf decoupling cap next to the chip? You really do need this, and it really does need to be close to the chip.

reset on the target needs to connect to pb2 on the programmer. there is no need to connect any components at all to reset of a stand alone avr. its always a puzzle to see how many feel obligated to hook up as many unnecessary components as possible. apparently they live back in the days of 8048 and 8080 when processors had no internal reset counter like modern chips have.

I put a 10uF between RESET and GND on the UNO. I also installed a 1uF as close as I can to the ZIF socket. I don't have a 0.1uF... so it will have to do.

I've bootloaded a few chips months ago, but for some reason, it's not working this time, as usual.

Thanks!

John1993, RESET on the Target IS connected to PB2 (pin 10) on the UNO. Fortunately, we dont need to program in assembly anymore though as with the 8080... :P

i suggest building another from scratch. maybe try w/o the extra garbage caps and resistors this time. ive built many ardino-as-isp using arduino boards and also stand alone chips including cheap m8. they usually worked flawlessly and if not i just built another and in the process always discover what i did wrong on the previous attempt.

ps. like i said in another thread recently "Real Men use assembly". i never liked 8080 because it needed too many voltages and special chips to work. I did love z80 though. as we speak working on new improved version of my altair/cpm emulator based on m128. dozens of leds and switches but ZERO external components.

Alright, I gave up on the Arduino as ISP...

Figured out how to update the firmware on my AVR-ISP-MK2 from Olimex, connected the wires to the ISCP plug, hit Burn Bootloader, and a few seconds later... Done burning bootloader

Seriously, the thing cost me $30 or so. So much easier...

Thanks for the help guys, from now on, I'm gonna be using the big boy programmers.

Cheers, Nevin