avrdude error

I am trying to upload a sketch (tried blink and a motor control one) onto my DFRduino RoMeo and am getting the following error:

Binary sketch size: 2960 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I went through the troubleshooting guide. I tried it first on Linux cause that is what I want to run my arduino stuff on but was getting the greyed out Tools -> Serial Port problem and was not understanding how to fix it so I went to Windows7 and the serial port part is fine but I am getting the above error message--it is not reading the board.

I selected the Arduino Duemilanov or Nano w/ ATmega328board and am using COM8 because that is what pops up when I go to plug in my USB. Though I did try lower COM ports---why...I don't know. Just experimenting. I verified the code then reset the board then ctrl+U to upload and wham...error

Help would be greatly appreciated. McK

I am working on getting it going with Linux and tried uninstalling brltty which got rid of the greyed out serial port but now I get the error:

Binary sketch size: 2852 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Did you check the right platform & comport in the tools menu?

I am using the DFRduino RoMeo Board and so selected the Arduino Duemilanov or Nano w/ ATmega328 selected and I am using the ttyUSB serial port on Linux

Hi,
I posted about this before on a different thread a while back.
I too had various errors (I’m using fedora).

I tracked it down to my udev rules. There was a few things that were configured from software I had installed.

In the end, I disabled(moved somewhere else):

/etc/udev/rules.d/99-libftdi.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-gpsd.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/97-bluetooth-serial.rules

There seems to be a lot of software that looks the same as an arduino that uses the ttyUSB port. The udev system can get set up to use the port for things other then the arduino. Also, there isn’t any official listing for the earlier arduinos in the udev system.

The easiest way to get it to work, if indeed this is the problem, is to disable the udev rules that grab the port. I dug through the system and found that the kernel has drivers for the chip that arduino uses on these boards and does not need udev to “try” to help out on what needs the port.

I checked out my udev library and don't have those files. Can that be right? In udev --> rules.d --> I've got numbers up to 97 only. Would they be named slightly differently with Ubuntu?