avrdude hangs when uploading to Seeeduino v1.1

I posted some of this on another thread, I have a bit more info now.

Setup: I have the Catalyst Pack with Seeeduino Board I am running XP (Same thing seems to happen on my Vista box too) Board is a Seeeduino v1.1 IDE is Arduino v15 Running on COM4

Board behaviour: The board has three LEDs lit: PWR - Green, on continously TX - Red, flashing (sometimes it stops, not sure if it is anything to do with the issue). Slot 13 (?) - Green, flashing. This isnext to R5 (I think it is the Slot 13 LED, when I put an LED in Slot 13 it flashes at the same rate).

What I have done so far: I followed instructions as per the getting started (including setting up the USB Serial driver) IDE is using the Diecimila/Deumilenove w/Atmega168 setting If I click on the serial monitor I get a series of boxes (says it is 9600 baud). If I load the blink example and click "upload to board" the IDE hangs.

IDE says: Uploading to I/O Board Console output (when running from run.bat) says: "Binary sketch size: 976 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)" IDE is frozen (even Event Dispatch Thread), avrdude.exe is running Killing avrdude.exe frees up IDE. IDE output area then displays "Binary sketch size: 976 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)" IDE still says "Uploading to I/O Board"

D:\Dev Tools\arduino-0015>run.bat

Stable Library

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7 Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7 Binary sketch size: 976 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

I am thinking that avrdude is hanging each time. I tried running it from avrgui (a simple windows command line wrapper) and it hung to when avrdude was running.

Stuck and dissappointed at falling at the first hurdle.

Can anyone give my any pointers on how to investigate further? Thanks

Tom

OK, fixed it. Newbie problem I think. The sketch uploads fine with the board in Auto-reset mode.

Or press the reset button just before sending uploading.

So can I get this straight.

The auto reset button just keeps you from overwriting your current program? I am just trying to figure this all out.

Thanks,

Russ

The auto reset button just keeps you from overwriting your current program? I am just trying to figure this all out.

No, it does not offer any on-purpose overwriting protection. It's simply a way to stop any existing sketch that might be running and allows the built-in bootloader program to 'sync up' and handshake with the Arduino IDE when it want's to upload a new sketch.

In the early Arduino models there was no 'auto-reset' option, you just had to manually press and release the reset button at the proper time when you wished to upload a new sketch. The auto-reset feature just automates that function by allowing the IDE to reset the Arduino board just before it starts a uploading function.

Lefty

Lefty, Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

Russ

Don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having the exact same issue on a seeeduino v2.12, though I checked to make sure the reset switch was set to 'auto'. What else might cause this?

software: Arduino-0016 OS: XP SP3

Same problem here.

Seeduino v2.12 (settings: USB, 5v, Auto-Reset)

Scenario 1: Ubuntu Jaunty 64bit, Arduino-0016 - The board's 'L' LED blinks (default test program, test LED blinks on PIN 0 to 13). - Pressing reset when/before uploading doesn't change a thing. - When I try to upload a simple 'PIN 13 always HIGH' program RST, RX and TX blink for a few millies and then I get the following error (with upload.verbose=true) followed by L + TX LED blinking in sequence for exactly 1 minute (after that it's the same as before, just L blinking):

Using Port            : /dev/ttyUSB0
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [00] 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [00] 
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

Scenario 2: Win XP SP3, Arduino-0016 - When pressing the uplaod button I get the "Uploading to I/O Board..." message, but 'nothing' happens (same effect on the board as described above but L + TX keep blinking for a few minutes and the app hangs). - When I press reset, nothing changes (1-2sec break, then L + TX blink again). - When I press reset for about 2 sec or wait for x minutes I get:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

Any ideas?

It's working now. I guess something happened to the boot loader. Maybe I tryed to upload a program in 3.3v mode or something like that.

Just for the record: I flashed the loader in BitBang mode using this guide and it works fine now. For info on how to wire the Seeedoino see Hello_Seeduino.pdf. It's the same as described in the guide but the X3 pins from the Diecimila are not found on the Seeeduino. Instead you have to use the UART pins (same thing, different name) with the following mapping:

Seeeduino UART -> Arduino x3 CTS [ch8211]> 1 DSR [ch8211]> 2 DCD [ch8211]> 3 RI [ch8211]> 4