avrdude referencing specific non-existent directory

When I run avrdude from the command line with this command "avrdude -p m2560 -c avrispmkII"
I get these oddly specific messages out:

avrdude: can't open config file "/home/jenkins/workspace/avrdude-staging/label/debian7-x86_64/objdir/etc/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "/home/jenkins/workspace/avrdude-staging/label/debian7-x86_64/objdir/etc/avrdude.conf"

Where should the "system wide configuration file" avrdude.conf actually be? Why are these paths baked into the avrdude executable?

The version information is:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

I don't have a user "jenkins" on my system, so that's definitely wrong.

When I do a build-upload, I get a complaint "/home/chris/.avrduderc doesn't exist". What needs to go into that file?

Thanks,

Chris

Jenkins is a continuous integration tool.

avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "/home/jenkins/workspace/avrdude-staging/label/debian7-x86_64/objdir/etc/avrdude.conf"

There is no "system-wide configuration file" and every compile, at least as far back as 2015, has gotten a similar error. You have to learn to ignore it. I thought the 'jenkins' name was odd on my machine, too, but since I knew that the 'error' was benign I just ignored it.

chrisarena52:
When I run avrdude from the command line with this command "avrdude -p m2560 -c avrispmkII"
I get these oddly specific messages out:

avrdude: can't open config file "/home/jenkins/workspace/avrdude-staging/label/debian7-x86_64/objdir/etc/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory

Where should the "system wide configuration file" avrdude.conf actually be?

You don't need one. Arduino provides an avrdude.conf file along with the installation of their version of AVRDUDE. You must add a -C option to your avrdude command to specify the path to this configuration file. Its path relative to the avrdude executable's location is ../etc/avrdude.conf. You can find it by doing a

which avrdude

or by checking the avrdude command the Arduino IDE runs when you do an upload.

chrisarena52:
Why are these paths baked into the avrdude executable?

It's the path on the Arduino's build server that's used when they build AVRDUDE.

chrisarena52:
When I do a build-upload, I get a complaint "/home/chris/.avrduderc doesn't exist". What needs to go into that file?

Nothing. It's only an informative message from AVRDUDE. You are better off not having a universal user configuration file for AVRDUDE because some 3rd party boards platforms provide their own versions of the configuration file, that have been modified from the stock one provided by Arduino in order to provide support for the additional AVR microcontrollers their platform uses. They also will ocassionally make additions or corrections to the avrdude.conf files. So if you just let the Arduino IDE do its thing, everything works automagically, but if you waste time mucking around with it for no reason, it may cause you a big headache months or years in the future when you have completely forgotten about this /home/chris/.avrduderc file you created.