AVRDude says no sync and more

I’ve tried more than 60% of the things suggested above and no joy.

I seem to be getting close, but then: Kaboom.

I’m trying to update the driver for the port. Somehow I finally got a window that shows Arduino in the left column, and Uno on the right. I tell it to continue. An app runs for a few seconds and then my whole computer shuts off. This is not isolated.

I tried it first on my big computer and it looks like that one will be heading for the shop again. After I started that update with it, and the computer shut off, it won’t boot from anything. I kind of suspect that it corrupted the POST part of the BIOS in the computer because whatever is happening happens even before it checks for the presence of drives.

Other than a USB cable, anything connected to the Arduino?

Nope. It's just sitting there all by itself. The cable is brand new, but I would try another one if I had one. What connector is that on the small end?

Honduras:
I tried it first on my big computer and it looks like that one will be heading for the shop again.

What do you mean "again"?

I built it from scratch. When I was done it wouldn't recognize any disk as bootable.

I wanted to get into Arduino the easy way. Silly me.

Everything was quick and easy until I tried to communicate with the Uno R3. Nothing since.

I'm going to just put the UNO back on the shelf and wait until Arduino comes up with a real solution to the problem, as well as an explanation of what the problem actually is.

I'm tired of trying things that other people have tried, out of desperation, and ending up wasting more time rather than accomplishing something.

I lied. I decided to try one more time.

I can't even get to AVRDude anymore.

After I install the Arduino software comes the nightmare of installing the driver. I've followed the directions to the letter. When I push the Update button for loading the Arduino driver, the computer acts like it is doing what it should be doing for about 30 seconds, then the computer shuts down completely. That's a little hard to deal with.

What's the answer to all this going to be? I have 4 more Arduinos on the way.

Operating system?

Put a powered USB hub between the computer and the Arduino to protect the computer in case there is a manufacturing defect with the Arduino.

I’ve already got one there. Ran out of ports on the PC.

I bought a UNO R3 so I could get started easily. The problem is that AVRDude doesn't like me, so USB is out, at least through that module.

Whats the recommended replacement? I need a comm protocol that will work reliability with any of the standard Arduino modules. Transmission speed is no concern. I mean I haven't been able to talk to it at all for 4 days. Anything would be better.

Hi,

You seem to be quite frustrated about USB. But it's the most common and supported communication system.

I have no advise to another protocol, but:

I love these modules:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

Everything is easy and the page supports a lot of examples and projects.
I decided to use it because of the possibility to work with it as HID. This is really cool if you don't want to install UART-Bridge-Drivers. In fact I haven't tested it as HID, but everything I've done so far worked fast and good.
(And you don't have to work with AVRDude)

I'm sorry not to advise one "standard Arduino module". But I wanted to mention this option.

Cheers

it's a lot of effort to avoid USB...

I am really frustrated. I haven't done anything related to electronics for at least 10 years. Even the terminology is completely different.

I wanted to get something really easy for my first efforts. I understand that Arduino is ordinarily very easy, but it has been anything but easy, and the only real problem seems to be software.

As I've said, I've been sitting here for 4 days looking at my UNO, I can't do anything with it.

One of the many frustrating parts is that there is no factory tech support. Is anything being done about this problem, which is not unique?

Also, I don't want to buy a lot of modules and shields and end up with the same problem. I don't even have any idea what the problem really is.

The problem is that AVRDude doesn't like me

Which errors do you get ?
What OS are you using ?

With Reply #12 this topic is now a cross-post of two others. @Honduras, please stop cross-posting. @Honduras, if you want help, answer the questions.

The error I get is from AVRDude. It's the same 'sync' message other people are getting. Number 500, I think. Anyway, I can't upload sketches to the Microcontroller.

I've been using two computers. Both are hand built. The 'Big' computer uses Windows 7. The small computer uses Windows XP Home version. Both use AMD processors.

BTW, I got the estimate for getting the big one fixed. $75. Apparently the Arduino Installer wrote something to the BIOS on that one,during a driver installation attempt, which shut it down. Right now it is a block of metal. The BIOS needs to be scrubbed, installed and upgraded. After that he can find what else it did.

BE CAREFUL

I've been using two computers. Both are hand built. The 'Big' computer uses Windows 7. The small computer uses Windows XP Home version. Both use AMD processors.

Which computer will you be using?

Honduras:

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=182437.msg1354584#msg1354584 date=1376588705]

With Reply #12 this topic is now a cross-post of two others. @Honduras, please stop cross-posting. @Honduras, if you want help, answer the questions.

The error I get is from AVRDude. It’s the same ‘sync’ message other people are getting. Number 500, I think. Anyway, I can’t upload sketches to the Microcontroller.

I’ve been using two computers. Both are hand built. The ‘Big’ computer uses Windows 7. The small computer uses Windows XP Home version. Both use AMD processors.

BTW, I got the estimate for getting the big one fixed. $75. Apparently the Arduino Installer wrote something to the BIOS on that one,during a driver installation attempt, which shut it down. Right now it is a block of metal. The BIOS needs to be scrubbed, installed and upgraded. After that he can find what else it did.

BE CAREFUL

The Aurdino installer DID whst?!

You’re being had over…

[/quote]

cjdelphi:

Honduras:

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=182437.msg1354584#msg1354584 date=1376588705]

The error I get is from AVRDude. It's the same 'sync' message other people are getting. Number 500, I think. Anyway, I can't upload sketches to the Microcontroller.

BE CAREFUL

The Aurdino installer DID whst?!

You're being had over....

[/quote]

The computer I will be using will probably be the small one, after I load Windows 7 on it. I've been having the same problem with it as the 'Big' one, though. The results just haven't been as bad.

Let us know when you have Windows 7 installed.