avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding -- Mac OS X 10.9.5

Hi I just got a Seeeduino v.3.0 that runs as Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega 328. This is my first time owning a Mac (10.9.5) so I don't know too much about drivers or ports (not that I really did with windows), but I downloaded the latest Arduino IDE 1.0.6 and immediately opened the software from my downloads tab, selected the proper board and serial port (/dev/tty.usbserial...) and connected my board set to auto and 3v3 on the switches. I then tried to use the blink function under examples-basics but I got the error:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 18:52:52
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/Taylor/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A603PL0V
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

I don't know what other information is relevant to my issue as I am in a very introductory programming class, but I can provide any that is necessary. I just don't know what is happening, I was never asked for permissions or anything of that sort upon installation; I've read about some people timely pressing the reset button but that seems to be a weird solution. Please let me know if anyone may know what the issue could be.

Thanks!

Have you followed the seeeduino pages for the driver?

The ATmega328P is not rated to run at 16 MHz on 3.3V. Try switching to the normal 5V.

Are you sure you picked the right USB Serial port? When you disconnect the USB cable does that port disappear from the serial port list?

It’s possible that the Auto-Reset isn’t working. Hold down the Reset button, click on the Upload, button and when you se the “Binary sketch size:” message in the sketch window or see the RX LED on the board blink, release the Reset button.