avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10:not in sync: resp=0x06. No fixes work.

When uploading blink, I get.

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\patwi\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x06

I have tried many fixes I've seen online, and the Loopback test works. I originally discovered that the bootloader was missing/corrupted because the "L" light did not blink when pressing the reset button.
I was able to burn the bootloader with avrdude through linuxgpio on a Raspberry Pi 3 B. The "L" light now blinks when powered on and when reset, but I am still getting the error seen at the top of the post. Any suggestions?

Note: I am using an older version of the IDE as part of my troubleshooting. I will be happy to post my results with the latest version if anything changes using suggestions from replies to this post.

What did you have selected from the Tools > Board menu when you burned the bootloader?

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the forum toolbar).

I get this issue on all of my computers: Linux, Windows, and MacOS.

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.usbmodem14101 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/tf/_pph55352y7b7d3l9y84lj9r0000gn/T/arduino_build_294219/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/samuelwirth/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.usbmodem14101
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I did not use the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader as I do not currently have an ISP. I used the GPIO pins on my Raspberry Pi and the ICSP header on the Arduino to burn directly from avrdude on my Raspberry Pi

idontknowijustneedhelp:
I did not use the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader as I do not currently have an ISP.

What bootloader did you upload?

What bootloader did you upload?

Boatloader: optiboot_atmega328.hex
in the Arduino IDE Program directory under "/hardware/arduino/avr/bootloaders/optiboot/"

That is the correct bootloader file for the Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno board you have selected.

That is the correct bootloader file for the Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno board you have selected.

Exactly, that's why I can't figure out what is wrong. The loopback test works, so... what could be the cause of the error at the top of this post?

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu. Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1 (including the jumper wire used for the loopback test. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu

Yes, I am certain I am using the right Port. I have tried many solutions I have seen online, but none work. The only issue I have been able to fix is the bootloader. This is quite puzzling to me, I don't know what else to do. I have tried on many computers, still getting the same exact error, and I have no idea what else to try. Any thoughts?

Hello!
I have currently given up on trying to fix my arduino at the moment, as nothing obvious seems to fix the issue. I have been able to continue using my arduino in the meantime by manually flashing sketches through the ICSP pins on the board. Any additional help would be much appreciated.

(note that you must reburn bootloader after uploading a sketch via ICSP - uploads via ICSP remove the bootloader)

When you have loaded the bootloader, press reset - does the led on pin 13 do a set of 3 rapid flashes? If so the bootloader is running.

When you try to upload, do you get the triple flash? If so, that means the board is being reset correctly during the upload process.

DrAzzy:
(note that you must reburn bootloader after uploading a sketch via ICSP - uploads via ICSP remove the bootloader)

When you have loaded the bootloader, press reset - does the led on pin 13 do a set of 3 rapid flashes? If so the bootloader is running.

When you try to upload, do you get the triple flash? If so, that means the board is being reset correctly during the upload process.

Thanks for the reply!
When the bootloader is present, the LED on pin 13 indeed does rapidly flash 3 times. I don't have much hope in my next step of troubleshooting, but the next thing I will try is a different USB cable.

Thanks again, Sam

Do you also get the triple blink when you try to upload, or just upon pressing reset?

Is this a real board or an own-built one?

Different USB cable is unlikely to fix it if you're getting a port - a bad USB cable will result in no port being visible. And certainly, if loopback test works, the USB cable is fine.

The light blinks 3 times when uploading, and it is a real Arduino UNO R3, not a self made or cheap knockoff. The USB cable was a last resort with no luck, and I figured it wouldn't work. I can't figure out what is wrong as I have tried everything. I know that there is probably not much more I can try but if you have any more ideas please share them with me.

Thanks again.

Even I have the same issues as this…Can you tell me how to solve this problem… I had tried everything from last 20 days…but still i got no results.