avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Hey everyone, I'm new to Arduino, I've got a mEGA2560 board, and getting the following error when trying to upload my code: avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00.
According to some articles I've read it could be either because the settings of the board model and the usb port is wrong or becasue the chip is damage.
I connected my board via usb to my macbook pro running macOS Mojave and Arduino 1.8.8, both LED lights are on, the green one indicating is on and the orange one is blinking, but I get that error when trying to upload the blink example to the arduino. I already checked the board and port settings and seem right to me, any suggestions?

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu. I know you said you already checked, but just to be sure.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu. I know you said you already checked, but just to be sure.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.