avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00. Com port issue?

Hi I have recently got into the world of arduino and have stumbled across a problem that is much talked about on this forum.

The dreaded...

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I have an uno that works fine but when i started using a nano 3.0 i hit this issue.

i have tried everything bar burning a new bootloader but have noticed a strange thing. When i look at my device manager under com ports, my Uno is listed as port three (it actually says 'Arduino Uno(COM3)) but my Nano says 'USB Serial Port (COM4)'. no mention of the Nano unlike the Uno.

The Nano is new and fresh out the box.

Should the Nano port read similar to my Uno one? Is this the route of my problem?

Hi!

I have the same problem with a NANO :~.

Every things works fine with a UNO a MEGA or the Pro Mini. But I have to NANO and I can't download. In all cases I use the same USB port on my computer and this port can drive all the others - so it should't be a power problem.

Regards Hans

just out of interest your not running windows 7 or 8 (64bit) are you?

i'm running windows 8 (64bit) and have had no joy with the nano. i have connected it to an XP machine and it works fine. Installed everything in exactly the same way and installed the same driver in the same way yet it works on xp but not 8.

I think this may be the issue. Perhaps the arduino software cant handle 64 bit OS's.

i've tried mine running on a windows 7 (64 bit) and linux (also 64bit) but no joy. maybe its just my nano thats fried and possebly works for you (try linux in a virtual machine)

I am running W7/64 but up to now I have no success. I got a second NANO from (reference to company selling counterfeit product removed by moderator) and this NANO works without any problems. I checked all fuses and set these to the older one - still not working. Than I read out the bootloader from the working device and programmed it to the other one - no success. The only difference I found up to now: The woking NANO has a incorrect placing of the resistor arrays. The NANO has two resistor arrays, one with 1k, one with 680. On the working device these both are transposed.

Regards Hans