avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 error on Arduino Mini Pro

Ok, I've been working on this for 2 days now and I'm officially stumped. This is what I'm working with:

Arduino Pro Mini 5V 16Mhz w/ ATMega328 + FTDI Basic

I've tried to upload a sketch to it from 2 different computers, using 4 different USB cables. I have reloaded drivers twice. When I try to upload, the green LED on the Arduino flashes a few times and the red TX led on the FTDI flashes, but the RX LED on the FTDI board doesn't do anything and I get this error message: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I tried the loopback test and got nothing, so I'm guessing this is a communications problem between the computer and the board somewhere, but I don't know how to narrow it down or fix it. Any suggestions? I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps and suggestions in other threads where this error message popped up and I don't know what else to try.

If the TX led on the FTDI board flashes, some data is going down that path. So the driver must be alive.

How exactly did you do the loop-back test?

I followed the instructions here: Arduino Forum

Then get a replacement for the FTDI board.

Hi...has the board worked before...Have you tried uploading an example sketch?.....I was getting a similar message after installing on Win7 x64...But after I put the arduino folder into the program files folder it now works problem free(so far lol)

The board has not worked yet, but I will try your suggestion. I'll try just about anything at this point.