avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x6e when trying to upload via ftdi

I am trying to convert my arduino project to a standalone using an atmega 328 w/ arduino bootloader, im using this ftdi cable https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9717 I connected the pins to the appropriate pins on the breadboard I followed the arduino tutorial and used a 16 mhz crystal with 2 22pf capacitors, but whenever I try to upload my program, gives me the error code "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x6e" any ideas?

my breadboard for reference

Where's the 0.1µF capacitor in series with the RTS (or DTR) line to the reset pin of the 328, and the 10k pullup resistor on that reset line?

would that cause the error im getting?

austinphilp: would that cause the error im getting?

Lack of those components will prevent the thing working at all.

The other thing that occasionally gets mixed up is whether the TX and RX lines need to be crossed or not - easily tried out either way.

Note the tutorial on "breadboarding". Nick makes much more sense than the stock Arduino project "tutorials".

I had this problem before. For me, it was because the Tx lines were going to the Tx line of the AVR. FTDI's Tx must connect to the AVR's Rx pin, and the FTDI's Rx pin to the AVR's Tx pin. As I'm sure you've found out from a lot of googling, this is a very generic error. I would first try to rule out any driver issues by trying any other FTDI based Arduino's on that computer or trying your Arduino on another computer