avrdude:stk500_recv():programmer is not responding

Good day for you! I have: Arduino Duemilanove ATmega328 Kubuntu Linux 64-bit machine Arduino 0018 IDE

and my error is:

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jun 29 2010 at 21:09:48
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www(dot)bdmicro(dot)com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/ilkadi/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyUSB0
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude done.  Thank you.

LED 13 (LED L on the board) is blinking all time. When I have IDE's Serial Monitor opened blinking is stoping.

my preferences are:

update.id=7830656164460399183
target=arduino
export.application.platform.windows=true
preproc.save_build_files=false
preproc.substitute_floats=true
run.options=
run.display=1
editor.divider.size=0
serial.port=/dev/ttyUSB0
preproc.enhanced_casting=true
editor.divider.size.windows=2
browser=mozilla
editor.font=Monospaced,plain,12
console.auto_clear=true
console.output.file=stdout.txt
last.sketch.count=0
export.application.platform=true
default.window.height=600
export.application.stop=true
serial.parity=N
serial.databits=8
board=atmega328
preproc.output_parse_tree=false
editor.external=false
editor.indent=true
last.screen.height=768
upload.using=bootloader
run.present.bgcolor=#666666
preproc.web_colors=true
editor.tabs.expand=true
run.present.stop.color=#cccccc
preproc.color_datatype=true
last.screen.width=1366
export.application.platform.linux=true
launcher=gnome-open
export.application.platform.macosx=true
editor.antialias=false
export.applet.separate_jar_files=false
editor.tabs.size=2
console.error.file=stderr.txt
preproc.substitute_unicode=true
console=true
run.present.exclusive.macosx=true
console.lines=4
run.options.memory.maximum=256
browser.linux=mozilla
preproc.imports=java.applet,java.awt,java.awt.image,java.awt.event,java.io,java.net,java.text,java.util,java.util.zip,java.util.regex
update.check=true
last.sketch0.path=/home/ilkadi/Work/Button_led/music/music.pde
run.window.bgcolor=#DFDFDF
sketchbook.path=/home/ilkadi/sketchbook
last.sketch0.location=271,71,664,600,426
update.last=1291487881176
export.delete_target_folder=true
platform.auto_file_type_associations=true
default.window.width=500
editor.caret.blink=true
serial.stopbits=1
serial.debug_rate=57600
run.options.memory.initial=64
upload.verbose=true
run.options.memory=false
editor.invalid=false
editor.font.macosx=Monaco,plain,10
export.application.fullscreen=false
console.length=500
run.present.exclusive=false

This is not my first program with this arduino - I have made some projects before. I compiled easy Serial. program yesterday, and after it's uploading I have try to upload another program, but uploading has failed with this error. I was trying to find any answer here, but all of then didn't work. I think I have no any compiler or IDE problem, because all have been worked before and I have no any system or program updates in this time.

you could check if you have selected the right board under the tools menu and if you selected the right serial port. These are two common causes wrt this message.

Thanks for your's answer Board and serial port are right. I have only one port (and it has been selected), and I have Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega 328P-PU.

I have made scetches ad they was working at that bug's day. I have do nothing with my options or OS, only have compiled and upload this program. And before this mine Arduino has go out under control.

Are there any (simple example) sketches working? If so, could you post the code of the sketch not running?

I have made LCD’s writing program first. It was working. Smth like this, but more interesting.

Then I have made smth like:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    lcd.setCursor(0 , 0);
//I don't have the oryginal code. I forget about it at first, and trying to //do smth. After this "comments" must be something like this:
   Serial.read
   lcd.print
   lcd.setCursor
   Serial.print
   lcd.print
}

//I don’t have the oryginal code. I forget about it at first, and trying to //do smth. After this “comments” must be something like this:

Serial.read
lcd.print
lcd.setCursor
Serial.print
lcd.print

This can’t work as it has many faults in it. You should have () with fiunctions and you should assign return values to variables.

Question: what is your level of (technical) education? Do you have experience in programming especially C?

If you want to read from a Serial port try the tutorials first see http://arduino.cc/en/Serial/Read and change the Serial.print(…) command in lcd.print(…)

:) excuse me, I understand that my English is not very good)

Serial.read
  lcd.print
  lcd.setCursor
  Serial.print
  lcd.print

This is only function names and no more. In my program I had all this variables and () and other, and all have been pretty compiled. But I forgot to do backup copy of my program before trying to do smth new. And after this code has gone. So, I'm a student and I have programed in C more then 2 years. And I know what it is function and how it looks like. I have experence of working with electronics and understand how it works (not understand all at all, but I have understand basic) How I have understand this error - Arduino was trying to receive and read information and have no time to "remake" it's "OS". I was trying different upload/restart button combinations, but they didn't work. I have see that here is no so many answers and understand that it is not so easy question.

OK, your level of understanding C is OK. I went back to your original question about "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"and found this (long) thread about the same error message, might contain clues for you (I didn't read it) http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1168940083/30

Thanks, I will try to do smth this evening. I have read many topics with this problem and understand now, that problem can be anywhere) If I burn new bootloader into my chip it will work fine, I hope. But I have only one Arduino and can't use a parallel programmer.

P.s. It doesn't work in another computer too. I will try how it works with Windows this day.

I tried to upload o do smth in Windows, but I have falled. :’(

It might be hardware failure ... Do you have a spare Arduino to test? Did you tried another cable?

I have only one Arduino and only one cable. Cable looks perfect.. so their is no other way - only buy another arduino for testing, and, may be, burning bootloader?

With new microcontroller (and bootloader in it) problem has been defeated :)