avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Just got my first board today, an Arduino Mega 2560, and tried a few examples of Arduino IDE. After successfully getting blink to work, my board simply refuses other sketchs. Every other example I try to upload get the same error, avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding. I don't know if it is a problem with the board, or is it my PC (tried on desktop and on notebook, both with Windows 10 and latest IDE). Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks in advance ^^

Do you have a clone?

Check, what USB communication chip is on board:

Possible chips are:
ATmega8U2, ATmega16U2, CH340, FTDI

I have the same problem with my Uno. :confused:

Did you check, if you got the right driver on board, so that, if you plug in your arduino, you see a new device showing up in the device manager incl. A COM port?

Then you must make sure you selected the right COM port AND arduino board in the IDE.

If the device manager detected the arduino assigned a COM port, you followed the selection process in the IDE, but it still doesn't work, then there might be a problem with either the installed IDE version or your operating system.

1. IDE 1.6.10 has errors and has been replaced by 1.6.11. I am still on 1.6.9 and will wait until there is a big advantage before I upgrade. So check your IDE version and replace it.
  2. Windows10 is another source of evil; if you have a chance try to test with another windows version, or linux or Mac