avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Hello,

I've been searching for a solution for my error described in title bar. Nothing so far. Okay, whats going on: I've an original Uno, and recently bought an clone Mega2560 v3. I'm working with Windows Vista / Arduino IDE 1.7.6 My Mega2560 is only connected to the USB cable, and NOTHING (so plane board) is attached to my Mega2560. Trying to upload the simple original blink program. At 95% it takes a while and now and then i see the onboard RX led blinks Tried the following "solutions" - used direct motherboard powered USB port instead of computers front USB port-> No result - in the control panel Windows -> device manager -> COM & LPT1 selected the MEGA, and updated the drivers in the installed local drivers directory (Not pointed at the FTDI directory)-> no result - connected the D0 and D1 with a cable, and indeed in the line in my serial screen i type a few characters, and after pressing enter they show up on the serial monitor. - of course checked the right com port and board type in Arduino IDE (otherwise the serial wouldn't do nothing) - i checked in MS Word the board.txt file and it was already set to "wiring" -> complete line in the boards.txt shows like "mega.menu.cpu.atmega2560.upload.protocol=wiring" - I pressed the reset button a dozen of times before / while uploading, and no uploading possible (only the power led blinks for 1 time (the reset action) - i've used the option an Arduino as an AVR ISP and burnt a new bootloader - After this option i was able to upload the blink program but ONLY ONCE, i changed both the values for High and Low, and tried to upload the blink program again. -> No result again the timeout error displays.

What to do ? Anyone suggestions ?

Regards Dennis

I tried it on another computer HP Laptop installed with Windows 7, and same result.

How did you burn the bootloader, using the IDE or command line, and what fuse values did you use? You can upload once and only once after writing the bootloader if the BOOTRST fuse is unselected. I'm not sure what you meant by "changed both the values for High and Low" but makes me think you are not using the regular high and low fuses.

http://eleccelerator.com/fusecalc/fusecalc.php?chip=atmega2560&LOW=FF&HIGH=D8&EXTENDED=FD&LOCKBIT=0F

Hello DMJlambert I did the burn of the boatloader with the IDE. It's not possible (as far as i know) to use different parameters. So the fuse values are standard.

After i installed the original Blink sketch directly after a new boatloader, (so the first upload was a succes) i changed the values for the Led to be on and off in de the Blink sketch to 5000 instead of 1000. Those are the high and low values i mentioned about. So it was not clear. The 2nd upload (with the changed blink values :) ) i got again the timeout error as displayed in title.

Next is the part of the blink sketch. (i changed the 1000 to 5000 for the 2nd upload) digitalWrite(13, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level) delay(1000); // wait for a second digitalWrite(13, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW delay(1000); // wait for a second

That has me stumped, I don't know what to tell you to try next. Others on the forum may have better ideas. The problem sounds very much like incorrect fuses, specifically BOOTRST fuse.