avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Hi I’ve bought an Arduino Uno Starter Kit and I’m getting the following error when uploading sketches to my arduino:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0001
0x94 != 0x96
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I had successfully uploaded a few sketches to the device (Project 2) which worked fine before this error occurred, and I get this error on the sketch I know worked. I’ve tried re-installing the software and drivers with no luck. I’m sure the COM setting is correct and the device name is correct. When uploading (even the basic sketch example blink) the lights on the Arduino blink a few times, then the error message is displayed. Please help.

Here is a video of the failure to help understand the problem:

supersnowboardsteve:
Here is a video of the failure to help understand the problem:

Arduino Uno Data Verification Failure - YouTube

Steve, you can try a newer IDE and maybe a different USB cable but you may need to get another Arduino and or a programmer to reload the bootloader. I have had good luck using a cheap Usbasp with a 10pin to 6pin converter. There doesn't seem to be a one answer solution to a problem like yours, but some have reported that burning the bootloader works.

Anyway, we can always use more gear. :slight_smile:

Thanks for replying kprims and giving your advice. It's greatly appreciated. I tried the newer IDE, and an old printer cable with no luck. Re-burning the bootloader seems like a long shot as the device resets and blinks when uploading. It's also not the kind of task that's suitable for beginers who just bought the Arduino Starter Kit. I've contacted Arduino customer support to get their advice.

Good luck. Please share if you come up with a resolution that would help others on the forum.