Avrdude verification error

This error has kept me busy for days and days:

Arduino IDE 1.0.4 Boarduino with Atmega328p USBTinyISP (v3).

The USBTiny is connected to the Boarduino using the ISP connectors. The Boarduino is powered by the USBTiny.

Test sketch: standard blink sketch. Only changed led pin to 9 and delay to 200.

Uploading the sketch using avrdude directly from the command prompt:

C:\Users\Harry>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -C "C:\arduino-1.0.4-windows\arduino-
1.0.4\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf" -u -U flash:w:"C:\arduino-1.0.4-windo
ws\HEXFILES\BlinkTEST01.cpp.hex":i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "C:\arduino-1.0.4-windows\HEXFILES\BlinkTEST01.cpp.h
ex"
avrdude: writing flash (1076 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.40s

avrdude: 1076 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\arduino-1.0.4-windows\HEXFILES\BlinkT
EST01.cpp.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\arduino-1.0.4-windows\HEXFILES\
BlinkTEST01.cpp.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\arduino-1.0.4-windows\HEXFILES\BlinkTEST01.cpp.hex contai
ns 1076 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.72s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 1076 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done.  Thank you.

No errors.

Uploading the sketch using the option “upload with programmer” from the IDE : Error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0100
         0x89 != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I ‘m able to bootload the chip directly from the IDE. But I believe (?) a bootloader isn’t necessary because it will be overwritten by using the external programmer.

Question: in both cases avrdude is used. Why is it that for the same sketch I get a verification error using the IDE and no verification error using avrdude from the command prompt? Any help is much appreciated.

It might be because of different avrdude versions.

For example if I upload using command line I use version 5.10
but using the Arduino IDE I use version 5.11.

Not sure if that is your problem, but they do act differntly.

Hi Erni

You're me hero!! I searched my pc for avrdude.exe and there was an old one in the Arduino_1.0 folder. Deleted that folder and tried both tests again and again. No errors any more in the IDE! Problem solved. Thanks again!

Edited: Arghhh. Can't believe it. All went well for an hour. Uploaded another sketch and there is the same error again:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0181
         0xb6 != 0x92
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

. Any thoughts?

Used another pc (just like this one with Windows 7 32bits) testing the test sketch. Only difference is that the new one has Arduino 1.0.3 instead of 1.0.4, but I don't think this will be the cause of my problem. With the new one I don't have any avrdude verification errors in the IDE. Tried a dozen other sketches and they all uploaded without errors. So the cause of the problem seems to be related to the "problem pc" itself. Is there some config file used by ArduinoIDE/avrdude that can be the cause of the problem?