avrdude     ....     :(

I have an arduino mega I am using windows vista on my computer.. the arduino was working fine ( i was using it to control a stepper motor unsing a pololu stepper drive)

i had everything connected as i have had it for the past few weeks, until my stepper driver overheats and my computer shuts off all of a sudden...

now when i try to run anything on my arduino i get:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

the arduino doesn't seem damaged at all (the driver is)..

any suggestions?? thanks!

• Test it on a different USB port
  • Work through the troubleshooting guide

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting

• Test the FTDI chip

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243607033

i tested it using different usb drives
i tested it using different usb cables
i made sure the right COM is selected and that it is less than 10
i made sure the right board is selected…
i tried doing the funny reset press and then plug the usb cables…
i haven’t tried the FTD you mention?

I don’t understand what you you mean by test the FTDI chip…
on the link you sent me they talk about installing the FDTI driver… it that what you mean??

i tried it using other computers as well.. does this then rule out the FTDI driver?

I don't understand what you you mean by test the FTDI chip.. on the link you sent me they talk about installing the FDTI driver.. it that what you mean??

The FTDI chip is the USB serial converter chip on the Arduino board that allows communication to and from the AVR processor to the Arduino IDE software on your PC. By performing the FTDI loopback test you are proving that there is no problem with the PC, the USB driver software, the USB hardware and cable. The error you are getting from AVRDUDE just means that there is no communications from the AVR chip to the PC. The FTDI test will 'half split' the problem from being caused the AVR processor chip or not.

Lefty

cool! it sounds like i need to do that

i'll check how to do it this test

i just tried connecting the reset pin to ground and the analog 0 pin to analog 1 pin and type in the serial monitor and got no response.. help..

false: analog0 <–> analog1
correct: digital0 <–> digital1

RX <–> TX, labeled COMMUNICATION on the board.

Please try again.