avrdustk500_paged_write error

Hello everybody,

I have been using my Arduino 2009 for some time, but after an unfortunate short on the board I got unable to upload new sketches, with the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x48
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x1a

The strange think is that the last uploaded sketch is still running and I can see the output on the serial console (it is a temperature sensor sketch I copied and modified): so apparently the serial communication is working, so the USB cable and drivers, etc.

So I am wondering what I might have fried with the short and if this can be repaired. The flash memory maybe ? The memory write circuit ? Any clue ?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hi dariowolf,

I got the same error, just yesterday :wink:
If you are sure, that your short is the real problem, then forget my post.

But maybe your sketch is just too big?

When I tried to upload 29kB of code onto my arduino uno it gave me exactly the same error, as the one you got.
Solved this error by reducing the sketch-size below 27,2kB.
(Also the IDE shows me a maximum of 32256 bytes ...)

Hope i could help!

Thank you, leep.

It could not be the sketch size, because the sketch itself was running correctly before (and after) the short.
I solved this problem yesterday, it was a corrupted bootloader !
I build the parallel AVR Programmer, re-burned the bootloder and the Arduino was like new. I had to use a Linux box, as on an XP machine there was no communication with the parallel port, even applying the registry patch.

Bye