AVRISP confilct

I have a problem with the diecimila board because of some timing issues I think:-/ I have flashed the board with a AVRISP mkII and now i get this error message in the Arduino software: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I hope some one can help me!

What do you get if you set upload.verbose to true in the Arduino preferences file (you can find its location in the Preferences dialog) and try to upload again? Did you have "Diecimila" selected in the boards menu when you burned the bootloader? What problems were you having before?

I have tried to change it to true with out any succes. I get the same error. I think the problem might be that it has been flashed by my friend with AVR studio. When I try to use the boot loader I get this error: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" :'(

What operating system are you on?

Can you post the full text of the messages you get when you try to upload with upload.verbose set to true (sometimes it can provide some useful information)?

I am running it on a win XP pc. I get the same text as before when I have compiled and trying to upload avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The mistake was made with AVR studio 4. I can only program the board with that software now, by browsing a *.hex that i have compiled in arduino (I have no compiler to AVR studio) AVR studio sets up a ISP clock and I have no possibillities with the stk500 Osc. (I think that is needed to get the timing right with arduino 0010)?! If replace the chip (ATMEGA168) with a chip from a other Diecimila board of mine it works perfect! But both chips works fine! It must be a setup problem I think! AVR studio must have changed some essential setup in the chip? Can I reset the chip to a factory setup in one way or another? I REALLY hope so!!!

To upload a sketch from the Arduino environment (using a USB cable), your chip needs to have the bootloader on it. Currently, there's no way to upload a sketch from the environment using an AVRISP.

If you've uploaded a .hex file to the board using AVR Studio and an AVRISP mkII, that probably overwrote the bootloader. You'll need to reburn the bootloader onto the chip before you can upload sketches from the environment.

I'm not sure why you get " did not find any USB device "usb" " when you try to burn the bootloader. In your device manager, do you see anything that corresponds to the AVRISP? You might need to uninstall the default (AVR-STUDIO) drivers for the AVRISP in order to use it with avrdude and the Arduino environment.

Okay... thx! can I get the bootloader in some way? If i get the bootloader source I can compile it arduino and load it with AVR! Then it should work?! Do you have the source or just at *.hex I can flash the chip with? It MUST be possible to flash the chip to the original setting!

Now I have found something - but I have no more energy today :) Do you thnik this will work? http://www.wulfden.org/freeduino/ADABOOT.shtml

The bootloader source and .hex file are in ARDUINO/hardware/bootloaders.

THX!

You have been a big help! :)

Great forum!