AVRUSB running on Arduino hardware with minishield

Hi,

I have uploaded the patched file to the wiki page.

I hope this is a help. :-)

Also, regarding the hub issue I haven't noticed it previously but I also haven't had success with Windows so far either.

--Phil.

Great, thank you very much, follower. I will check it out.

/* EDIT */ I have verified that this compiles just fine. Thanks for the update.

Cool, glad it worked out for you.

As a side comment, I actually tried my "standalone" version tonight on a Windows Vista box and it worked fine.

--Phil.

Good news. xSmurf seems to have located the source of the instability I've encountered with the AVRUSB integration.

It seems that the timer0 interrupt routine takes long enough that the USB processing doesn't happen fast enough.

I've created a "work around" that disables the timer--when this is done I get totally reliable (so far) key presses. Yay!

Unfortunately disabling the timer means delay() and millis() no longer work. My workaround for that is to implement a different delay() function and not use millis().

Further details and code can be found on the 27 January 2009 update on the project log.

While there is a convenience cost in the workaround it's great to have reliable results finally!

--Phil.

Thank you very much follower! I couldn't get this thing to work but after a couple of days bangin' my head I got it! I was using Arduino IDE v12, even after installing v11 nothing happened, then I read about a hidden Arduino preferences.txt file, deleted it, opened Arduino IDE v11 again, uploaded the sketch and voila!

hello world

I read that you got the Power Switch example working using the Arduino IDE, can you give me a hand with that? I need to send data to the device but I'm not good with low level languages :'(

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm, I forgot I had got that working. :-)

Unfortunately I don't have the code nearby at the moment.

--Phil.

Is your website down? I'm interested to see the details of your progress.

Yes, unfortunately my site is currently down due to a power supply failure. Hopefully it'll be up again in a day or so.

--Phil.

will this work with directX applications?

like can you get the bar to move by typing “A” http://dfyb.net/GoBetwino_Test.exe with Arduino USB? i ask because i got goBetwino working in notepad etc, but can’t get it function in this directX test. i’d like to know if it works before building the shield.

Please excuse my n00bness...

I am just wondering, what is the benefit of this?

Is it just so that the Duino can communicate over USB directly instead of thru the usb-serial interface, provided on most newer duinos?

Hello,

Thank you very much for this post, I am making a usb keyboard project and this is exactly what I need. I am currenly trying to use Rodovan Easy Input Chip with Arduino; however this will help me eliminate the need for the chip and proceed directly with using just the Arduino. I would like to seek new additional on how to understand the information in this post, I am new to Arduino and some of the procedures are not clear for me. Thank you for your time and your advise is highly apprecaited!

:)

will this work with directX applications?

At one stage I had a problem with getting stuff running under Windows (which it should be able to do--it may have been a hardware problem) so, in theory, yes, it should work.

I'm not going to promise anything though. Although I will say I have successfully used it with Windows.

--Phil.

Is it just so that the Duino can communicate over USB directly instead of thru the usb-serial interface, provided on most newer duinos?

It means that (in theory) the Arduino can act as any low speed USB device. In reality it has been used to act as a HID keyboard, mouse and joystick. Being HID means that no extra driver software needs to be installed for most OS.

--Phil.

I would like to seek new additional on how to understand the information in this post, I am new to Arduino and some of the procedures are not clear for me. Thank you for your time and your advise is highly apprecaited!

Specific questions are more likely to get you a useful answer. :-)

--Phil.

Great work on this project!

I am trying to replicate this, but when I compile the Usb Keyboard test with the UsbKeyboard library i get this error:

\HID_Interface\applet\WInterrupts.c.o: In function __vector_1':** **C:\arduino-0014\hardware\cores\arduino/WInterrupts.c:81: multiple definition of __vector_1’
hardware\libraries\UsbKeyboard\usbdrvasm.o:(.text+0x32): first defined here

So both the WInterrupt and UsbKeyboard are expecting to create __vector_1 ?

any pointers in how I can fix this?

thanks,
Robbo

I fixed this by removing WInterrupt.cpp from the project. Things are starting to come together, as I now have key values coming through to the host.

yippee. Robbo

Yeah, unfortunately the most recent version(s?) of the IDE changed how things were put together to create the final binary and a clash occurs between interrupts even though one isn't actually used. I think this was going to be changed for the next version of the IDE.

--Phil.

so is it safe to keep WInterrupt.c out for all projects?

I assume it would only be safe if you weren't using the Arduino interrupt functionality for something else. :-)

--Phil.

I don't mean to semi-necro this thread but I've recently been trying to get the USB to work on an Arduino Duemilanova.

Right now everything complies fine and loads, I set the LED to blink once when push button is hit, (When it should send the USB letter). The first time you hit the button it flashes, indicating everything up to this point it working. But when it gets to the sendKeyStroke it freezes up. I commented out the keystroke and everything worked fine.

I know this is obviously something with the communication but I'm not sure what. (Running on OSX 10.5.6) I also tried it on windows but it just shows up as an unrecognized USB device to windows and does the same thing.

Any thoughts/ideas as to what is going on would be appreciated!