Baby monitor

I have my door bell remoted to my shed via a carrier on the mains. By the time i get there postie has left.

What i would like is to speak (2 way ) to the caller. Rf is no use but i recall mains connected baby monitors used to exist.

Anyone know where i can get one these days ?

Boardburner2: I have my door bell remoted to my shed via a carrier on the mains. By the time i get there postie has left.

What i would like is to speak (2 way ) to the caller. Rf is no use but i recall mains connected baby monitors used to exist.

Anyone know where i can get one these days ?

Baby monitors are usually only one way, just to listen if the baby is crying.

I found some 2 way but again they are radio.

Put a little light-up sign under your doorbell that says “Postie, please wait, I am coming” ?

…R

I thought of having the door bell connected to a recorder pen to say exactly that. Then i realised if i am not in , postie will not make the same mistake twice.

And if it's a vacuum cleaner salesman i don't want to bother with the walk.

Mains inter-coms used to be readily available in the 80's. I am quite capable of designing one but postie would probably have retired before i complete it.

I recommend go with used intercoms available on eBay. A search for Radio Shack Intercom on eBay gives lots of FM type intercoms that work over mains, at least it does in the USA. Your visitor will need to know to push to talk in order to have a conversation with you.

mains.png

The advantage of going with a simple wired intercom is the visitor does not need to push to talk. There is a call button that acts like a door bell, but other than that, the visitor does not need to do anything and you don’t require any skills from the visitor (could be important for some visitors). Whenever you turn it on, you’re listening to the visitor, and at the master when you push to talk the direction of communication switches to talk to the visitor. Disadvantage is of course you need to wire it. If going more distance than the wire that comes with the unit it may be a good idea to use heavier wire, such as coax or romex so you will not have much transmission loss.

wired.png

Thanks. Wireless intercom. Was the search term i needed. Maplin have them listed , nearest in stock 30 miles with no delivery option. Working on it as it seems to be a discontinued item.

UnoWatt:

Rf is no use

Why's that though, I'm curious.

Especially after Reply #9

...R

Rf i meant radio, it did not reach.

Wireless intercom got loads of radio hits. Wireless intercom mains found what i was looking for.

Boardburner2:
Mains inter-coms used to be readily available in the 80’s.
I am quite capable of designing one but postie would probably have retired before i complete it.

Look up X10.

Thanks , i found an obsolete one in a shop , had to travel 40 miles to get it though.

There's a site....