Back after an absence

I am getting back to Arduino after an absence and at the moment I am on Version 1.8.5. Before my break I was going to update to 1.8.8 or 9 but didn't as there were issues. I have not updated my MAC to Catalina as you but just wondered if I should update at all at the moment. Any advice greatly received.

There have been some problems with Arduino IDE 1.8.10 caused by the transition to using the new arduino-cli tool. These issues have only affected a small number of people so there's a good chance you won't have any problems there.

There are a couple of universal bugs in 1.8.10 that are more of an annoyance than a serious issue, especially for someone with experience:

The first is only a problem if you have spaces in your paths, have an issue the requires you to get the information from a truncated message, and can't infer the location from the truncated path. So it's unlikely that it will be a real issue for you.

The second can be easily identified and ignored. A legitimate "Multiple libraries found" message will be followed by a list of multiple libraries that were found, with one indicated as having been used. The spurious message only lists a single library.

So my advice is to give 1.8.10 a try, then if you have problems go back to 1.8.9.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will see if I can psych myself up to giving it a go. Should I upgrade to MacOS Catalina?

Watch out with Catalina because only 64 bit software will work. There are also little bits of soft that run under the hood that will stop working under Catalina. I will first get a second hand Mac, put my actual stuff on it and sort of freeze it, before stepping to Catalina. Have look at "About this Mac"(under the Apple) / System report/ Software / Applications. It may take a while. The column at right of the table says YES or NO on 64 bit compatibility.

Thanks for the heads-up, I have been getting a few messages saying that various programs will no longer work with future MacOS updates.