Backwards Question Marks

Hello! So, I’m working on this project where I need to send characters between two Arduino boards using IR signals. All I’m getting in the serial monitor are some backwards question marks. Doing some research I found that this is most likely a baud issue, but I am unsure of how to fix this.

I’m really new to programming, so if the problem is simply that my code is crappy just let me know. Since this is an assignment, I’m not looking for clear cut solutions, but maybe a push in the right direction or indication of what I am doing wrong. Thank you so much to anyone that helps!

Assignment_10_tester.ino (2.91 KB)

Iona10:
Hello! So, I'm working on this project where I need to send characters between two Arduino boards using IR signals. All I'm getting in the serial monitor are some backwards question marks. Doing some research I found that this is most likely a baud issue, but I am unsure of how to fix this.

I'm really new to programming, so if the problem is simply that my code is crappy just let me know. Since this is an assignment, I'm not looking for clear cut solutions, but maybe a push in the right direction or indication of what I am doing wrong. Thank you so much to anyone that helps!

your code is basically implementing software serial(SS) except you are using IR in place of hard wire as your transmission media!

With SS, timing is critical, so why not try using one of the software serial libraries to prove out your setup.... if you still receiving crap then it may be due to your setup or noise/interference. If it work you can study the library to write your own code! :wink:

hope that helps....

Try changing:

Serial.println (message);

to

Serial.println (message, HEX);

and see if that changes anything.