bad ethernet shield?

I got an Ethernet shield via amz ( http://amzn.com/B00GIDHZHE ) a year ago and just getting around to trying it out. Using the simple WebServer example. I've tried Ethernet.begin(mac, ip); with and without the ip parameter to use DHCP. On my router I am not seeing the arduino on the list of connected devices but router does show that the port is sending data/packets and receiving a very small amount of data/packets when I have the arduino connected.

This ethernet shield does not have a MAC sticker on the bottom so I have left the default value in the code.

Any tips on how to debug this problem and verify the ethernet shield is ok?

Thanks!

If the destination device is localnet, the router may not show the Ethernet shield ip/Mac.

If I understand correctly... the arduino may be working but just not show on the router device list? When defining/using an IP in the arduino, I was not able to access the webserver from my PC either. How would I find the IP if using DHCP and it doesn't show on router?

Thanks for your help!

Look at DhcpAddressPrinter example to display your IP.

Okay, still no go :( Prints "Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP"

Tried manually setting IP again and now I notice it is pringint IP is 255.255.255.0

The shield LED's are (from edge): pwr red on link yellow flash 100m yellow on full yellow on coll off rx green flash tx off ? yellow flash at startup then on solid

Any other ideas to try next?

Thanks again!

Try this test sketch. It tests the SPI bus and the SPI side of the w5100. Does it show 192.168.1.101 or some other IP, like 0.0.0.0?

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
IPAddress ip(192,168,1,101);

void setup() {
 Serial.begin(9600);

// disable SD SPI
 pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
 digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

// Start ethernet
 Serial.println(F("Starting ethernet..."));
 Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);
 Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());

delay(2000);
 Serial.println(F("Ready"));
}

void loop() {
}

Here’s what I get…

Starting ethernet…
Ready

Then you have a problem with the SPI bus or the SPI side of the w5100. Insure the pins, especially the ICSP pins, are inserted fully into the sockets.

Good evening to all,
I found this topics, probably I have a similar problem, my arduino uno works fine, but the led on my ethernet shield are:
-led power red;
-led link yellow;
-led 100M yellow;
-led full yellow;
other leds are off.

I tried the test sketch at #5, the serial monitor give me
“Starting ethernet…
Ready”

What is my problem ?

Thanks

selisu: Good evening to all, I found this topics, probably I have a similar problem, my arduino uno works fine, but the led on my ethernet shield are: -led power red; -led link yellow; -led 100M yellow; -led full yellow; other leds are off.

I tried the test sketch at #5, the serial monitor give me "Starting ethernet... 192.168.1.101 Ready"

What is my problem ?

Thanks

It looks like everything is fine, It is pulling an ip address from dhcp, what do you believe to not be working?

Arodd2000:
It looks like everything is fine, It is pulling an ip address from dhcp, what do you believe to not be working?

I’m glad to read these words, I thought that my shield was broken because she had crooked pins, now
I still to work with it.

thanks for your help.