Bad experiences as a beginner

I can't see anything obviously wrong, but a video which moves isn't exactly a photo which clearly shows the wiring. Those orange wires crossing over don't help. I would personally remove each wire and replace it, one by one, preferably with a different one as those hook-up wires have been known to fail.

KenF:
So which version of the IDE are you currently using?

@Nick
Now I have tried a UNO. The same problem:

Video with UNO

If I have time today evening, I turn again to the MEGA. Then I take a photo.
I also ordered a second display.

You're not guaranteed to get the full 500mA current from a laptop / notebook port. It might be internally shared with the USB controller and other ports. The only way to guarantee full rated USB current is to use an external hub with its DC power adapter connected.

Have you tried using a port from a powered USB hub?

Have you tried programming a simple sketch i.e. "blink" with no other wires or devices connected to the UNO?

Are you sure you tried Arduino 1.5.8 as suggested by KenF? Why re-install 1.0.6?

In 1.5.8 there are improvements to SPI, fixes to examples and more that is not available in 1.0.6. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

Now I have the UNO tested with the IDE 1.5.8 and it works.

Video with UNO and IDE 1.5.8

A change to MEGA and IDE 1.5.8 is again without success. However, I now have no lines on the screen.

As it goes with one IDE at UNO and the other not, the problem seems not to be with me.

Sorry to go OT but that vertical breadboard thingy is pretty nifty.... can you post details please gj?

A change to MEGA and IDE 1.5.8 is again without success.

Check table of SPI Connections here. Suggestion: Create a complete connection table of your setup for the different Arduino boards you're using.

@JimboZA My English is not good and unfortunately I understand "OT" not. (Could it mean "outside the theme"?) I have my kit activated from childhood days. -> fischertechnik

Interesting links: Arduino + fischertechnik or fischertechnik + industry

@dlloyd Thanks for the interesting link. I will study it.

gj99: My English is not good and unfortunately I understand "OT" not. (Could it mean "outside the theme"?)

Correct.

Actually, it is shorthand for "Off the Topic".

Now I have the UNO tested with the IDE 1.5.8 and it works.

Looking on the bright side, it appears that most of it works. The TFT screen works, the Uno works, your breadboard works, and the sketch works.

I tried sketch TftDisplayText on my Uno and Mega, and looked at the output on the logic analyzer. It seemed to be the same, so it appears that it should be working. Can you try that one please? Also post what you see on the serial monitor when testing on the Mega on the original sketch. There are some debugging displays you should see. Perhaps it cannot initialize the SD card.

Also post a close-up photo of the wiring to pins 50 to 53 on the Mega. They are a bit confusingly labelled. The first two sockets are Gnd.

Here are the photos:

I noticed the following. The fifth pin from above on screen is "LCD CS"

PIN on screen

He is here connected to pin 10:

Wiring diagram

But after this information ....

dlloyd: Check table of SPI Connections here. Suggestion: Create a complete connection table of your setup for the different Arduino boards you're using.

... SS (-> "LCD CS" on screen) is PIN 53.

I have also tested this (see photos), but no improvement.

Following changes I have made to the (example) sketch

define lcd_cs 53

pinMode(lcd_cs, OUTPUT);

Nothing happens, the display shows only white.

I’ve been experimenting a bit today:

/*
 Arduino 1.8" TFT LCD screen für MEGA
 */

// einbinden der libraries
#include <SPI.h>    // Arduino SPI library
#include <TFT.h>    // Arduino LCD library

// pin definition für den MEGA
#define DC     9    // D/C
#define RST    8    // reset
                    // Pin 50 -> MISO (SPI - master IN, slave OUT)
                    // Pin 51 -> MOSI (SPI - master OUT, slave IN)
                    // Pin 52 -> SCK  (SPI - serial clock)
#define LCD_CS 53   // SS für display (SPI - slave select - bei aktivierung "Low")

// initialisierung des displays
TFT myScreen = TFT(LCD_CS, DC, RST);

// setup
void setup()
  {
    pinMode(LCD_CS, OUTPUT);  
    digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
    digitalWrite(LCD_CS, LOW);

myScreen.begin();
    myScreen.background(255, 255, 255);
  }

// loop
void loop() 
  {
    myScreen.background(255, 0, 0);    // rot
    delay(1000);
  }

Is there an error?

If not, then it is time to confront arduino with this theme.

From the last image, it seems that you have a counterfeit Arduino Mega board

ankitdaf: From the last image, it seems that you have a counterfeit Arduino Mega board

Well spotted! Considering the bluster of his original post, although in fairness, that is unlikely to be the reason for his problems. However if he was genuinely under the impression he bought a genuine board, maybe he should pursue that with his supplier?!

Regards,

Graham

However that's the reason for my problems! :-[

As I said above, I have written to Arduino and the original bill I have also sent.

Yesterday I got from arduino the news that I would not use the original Board !??! Whats that ? I remember. I was taken the board to a friend, who is also experimenting with Arduino. There has been reversed. This, I did not notice. Embarrassing ! :blush:

I changed and tested the board directly:

It works.

I have not noticed the exchange, perhaps, I also packed the wrong board. At this opportunity I did not think. I was so sure that I have everything in the original version. Sorry.