Barcode reader and Curl command (or simlar) - is it possible?

I want to make a device that will simply scan a barcode on a job/order and update the status on a website.

The website part is complete, all I have to do is access a URL like:

http://www.xyz.com/api/order/complete?barcode=<VARIABLE>

where “VARIABLE” would be the string from the barcode reader. Typically we would use a curl command to send this URL

Is this possible? Can I send this data over the net?

bmp

Yes, that is very possible. You won't use curl, you'll use the Ethernet library, but it should work just as well.

The challenge is getting the Arduino to talk to the barcode reader. This is very dependent on the hardware you select. The easiest way to interface would be a TTL (3.3-5V) serial connection, but even if you can't find a TTL serial barcode reader you should still be able to get it to function -- it will just be a little more work.

I have found this for the barcode reader aspect:

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/connecting-barcode-scanner-arduino-usb-host-shield

Where would I find information on the Ethernet library? Is that on the Arduino site?

Here's the Ethernet library information:

http://arduino.cc/en/reference/ethernet

That USB host shield looks like it will work, but, not all shields can be stacked physically or logically. You'll need to make sure either the Ethernet or the USB host shield have stackable headers, and you'll also need to make sure they do not use the same pins (or if they do use the same data bus, make sure they support I2C addressing or separate SPI SS lines).

Sometimes libraries can conflict too, if for example they both use the same hardware Timer. I wish I could point you to a shield/library compatibility page, but if one exists, I don't know where it is.

Thanks for all your help!

I will just have to research that USB shield from circuits@home and compare pin usage.

Why use a USB - scanner ?

Wouldn't a PS/2 - barcode scanner be much easier to read ?

I recently bought a second hand POS-system, capable of scanning products/giving info. After opening it I found an ITX-motherboard running XP, with scanner connected to the PCs PS/2-Keyboard-connector. I haven't tested how much different types of barcodes it recognizes...., but even without drivers, using a different OS, it simply spews data as if it were typed on a keyboard.

It's tempting to implement that as a smartphone app rather than build your own platform. I'm sure you could find camera-based barcode recognition, and the rest would be a doddle to implement.

Simpson_Jr: Why use a USB - scanner ?

Wouldn't a PS/2 - barcode scanner be much easier to read ?

I recently bought a second hand POS-system, capable of scanning products/giving info. After opening it I found an ITX-motherboard running XP, with scanner connected to the PCs PS/2-Keyboard-connector. I haven't tested how much different types of barcodes it recognizes...., but even without drivers, using a different OS, it simply spews data as if it were typed on a keyboard.

Why use an Arduino for this - it is the wrong tool for the job - a Raspberry Pi is perfect for doing this - Linux Kernel so it WILL have drivers available for most mainstream scanners and you can use CURL

Craig