Barcode scanner for product prices

Hi everyone

I'm looking to build a barcode scanner unit that references a database (csv file) for product prices.

What's the best way to go about this?

Adafruit sell a barcode module.

I was thinking about using this module, combined with an arduino and lcd.

Would this work with a product database of 10000 items or is there a better approach?

Thanks in advance!

Gareth :slight_smile:

Would this work with a product database of 10000 items

On what device are you going to have your data base?
If it is on an SD card attached to the Arduino the response time might be a bit slow.

What are you going to do with the resultant price? If it is sending it to another computer you might as well send the code and have the data base on that computer.

cell phone has access to that database. shoppers can get data in stores.
there may be some way to copy that database ?

How about using the phone camera to scan the barcode ?

The device I envisage is a small unit, that clips to or is hard mounted to a shopping cart/trolley at a grocery store. The device is owned by the store and installed on all carts. As a customer chooses a product, he scans it to check price, price displayed on lcd. Then if the price is acceptable he pushes the add to cart button and puts the product in the trolley. Then chooses another product and does the same. The device gives a running total of all the items added to the cart. Kinda like a online shopping cart but something more corporeal :wink:

The database of prices change daily and will need to be updated from the master database via sd card or usb.

Perhaps a raspberry pi, Linux and mySQL would work better?

G

Interesting, I need a free barbecue (trolley cart) and raspberry pi, where and when do you plan to mount these devices ? :wink:

Anyway, you could add wireless features. By scanning a product and asking the central PC you won't need to update 100's of carts.

It would be nice if you could get a load of ps-2 scanners for a project like this, they behave like keyboards and can be read by an arduino, without having to cope with usb-problems.

Next problem, how will you recharge all trolleys ?

GarethRens:
The device I envisage is a small unit, that clips to or is hard mounted to a shopping cart/trolley at a grocery store. The device is owned by the store and installed on all carts. As a customer chooses a product, he scans it to check price, price displayed on lcd. Then if the price is acceptable he pushes the add to cart button and puts the product in the trolley. Then chooses another product and does the same. The device gives a running total of all the items added to the cart. Kinda like a online shopping cart but something more corporeal :wink:

The database of prices change daily and will need to be updated from the master database via sd card or usb.

Perhaps a raspberry pi, Linux and mySQL would work better?

G

You do not say where you are located.
I am in the uk .
My local waitrose and tescos already have these devices fitted as standard. They vastly improve the checkout time.

Do you have an idea that improves on this perhaps ?

My local waitrose and tescos already have these devices fitted as standard.

Well not in the northern power house they don't, you must be a southerner.

Rather than having an expensive piece of equipment attached to each cart and subjected to weather when the cart goes out to the parking lot, my local market has a rack of hand-held scanners. You unlock a scanner from the rack by scanning your loyalty card. At checkout you scan an "end of order" barcode and scan your loyalty card again. The self-checkout station (or clerk) gets the list of items in the cart and accepts payment. You can download an iPhone app to use in place of the hand-held scanner.

Rather than requiring a price check on every item, allow for an item to be removed from the cart before checkout.

Grumpy_Mike:

I live in the south but passport says im a geordie.

Maybe they dont trust us northern scallywags to scan our own. :o

Its as johnwasser described, the mounting being a simple clip for convenience.

Grumpy_Mike:

I think it's more likely to be a Lancashire issue, we have them this side of the Pennines...

Not sure, but they do random cart checks and i get pulled every saturday.
Must have the scally look.

OP

I think the real problem will be the database, it needs daily updating, i do not see the stores cooperating there.

Value shopping organisations exist which send out mystery shoppers to compare prices of staples and certain other goods which change daily.

Stores dont like them as they do not know in advance and cant fiddle their pricebase accordingly.

If you can get acess to one of those i can see a lot of use for a modified device.

Pointing your scanner at an item and having it go whoot whoot , tescos over the road have these 10 p cheaper whould probably have the manager pushing the trolley for you by the third go.

dave-in-nj:
cell phone has access to that database. shoppers can get data in stores.
there may be some way to copy that database ?

No.
There is a deliberate delay.
You can look up indvidual prices at cognitive speed but the delay is to prevent the use of a computer from sequentially downloading the entire price database.

Interface barcode scanner with Arduino Yun

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=273119.msg1925713#msg1925713

Arduino Yun, Partial enterprise database support - Mysql, Microsoft SQL, Sybase, Sqlite3, NoSQL-MongoDB, PostgreSQL, DB in Memory (memcached).

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=337104.0

Arduino Yun, Languages Supported - Assembly Language, C/C++, Java, JavaScript, Lua, Php, Perl, Python, Ruby. total of 18.

http://www.ibuyopenwrt.com/index.php

Two rules of Big Retail:

• No clocks.
  • No published catalogue.

Brotha, I am making the same project and I badly need help because I have to show the project to investors in upcoming week so that he can invest in this. Pls anyone?