Bare Arduino Project - Feedbacks needed :)

Hi there! :slight_smile:

My name is Ladislas, I’m CEO at Leka, a startup which develops Moti, a spherical rolling robot for children with autism.

We are setting up a Bare Arduino Projet repository to be used as a framework for developer to quickly start new Arduino projects. We have been using it a lot. We made some tests with friends and they seemed to like it.

But we’d love to hear from the Arduino Community: does it sound good? is it useful? is the documentation well written? will you give it a try? do you find bugs? are important things missing? is this total crap and we should not waste time doing that? :slight_smile:

To give you a quick summary of how it came to life: when we started working on Moti, we were using the Arduino IDE. As our code got more complexe, the Arduino IDE’s lack of useful features such as code completion made us switch to our favorite text editors (vim and ST). To take care of the compilation and upload, we started using Sudar’s Awesome Arduino-Makefile, to which we have contributed since then.

We also thought that the version avr-gcc shipped with the Arduino IDE was a little old, so we started using 4.8 and now 4.9 (and it works like charm so far). There is a brew formulae here that you can tap if you are on OS X.

Finally we wanted our own basic directory tree:

??? bin
??? lib
??? src
??? test

Everything is compiled in our repo (https://github.com/WeAreLeka/Bare-Arduino-Project) and you will get:

• simple instruction on how to install the toolchain on OS X and Linux (but you can still use Arduino IDE toolchain!)
  • simple documentation on how write and compile your first program
  • SublimeClang (ST2) and YouCompleteMe (Vim) plugins configurations
  • Makefiles for OS X and Linux which work out of the box with minor modifications
  • .editorconfig file you can customize
  • simple tree structure that everyone knows and use

As I said earlier, we think about this as some kind of framework. It doesn’t do anything by itself but it can be used as foundations for your project and is easily customizable.

Hope you’ll like it and we are looking forward to hearing your feedbacks.

Best regards, :slight_smile:
Ladislas

The main thing is that you don't like the Arduino IDE ?
The editor lacks the possibilities of a good development environment, but in the end I still use it. I don't even use an external editor. If you don't mind, I stick with the Arduino IDE.

The new Arduino 1.5.7 BETA use gcc 4.8.1

No I don't mind :slight_smile:

It's not that I don't like the IDE. I use it regularly to quickly write small code and tests things. But I felt like as my project was getting bigger, using the IDE was not for me, I needed my own tools to be more efficient.

The new Arduino 1.5.7 BETA use gcc 4.8.1
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

Yes I've read that, it's a huge improvement! :slight_smile:

ladislas:
It's not that I don't like the IDE. I use it regularly to quickly write small code and tests things. But I felt like as my project was getting bigger, using the IDE was not for me, I needed my own tools to be more efficient.

That's exactly how I feel about it. My sketch for the Mega 2560 has grown with too many files, my overview gets lost sometimes.

That's exactly how I feel about it. My sketch for the Mega 2560 has grown with too many files, my overview gets lost sometimes.

That's exactly why you should give the bare arduino project a try :smiley: :slight_smile: