Bare Bones Board and Win XP: Upload works 1 time

I just put together a Bare Bones Board from Modern Device. I installed the arduino-0010 software on my Windows XP SP2 machine, and I'm using an FTDI USB cable that I also got from Modern Device. After plugging in the USB cable on the computer and connecting it to the BBB, I can successfully upload a sketch once - after that I get the "not in sync" error from avrdude and nothing happens on the BBB. If I pull the FTDI cable from the computer and reinsert it, I can upload again, once.

Everything works flawlessly on my Ubuntu Linux system, so I presume that the BBB itself is OK.

I've tried FTDI drivers both from the arduino package and from FTDI's web site. I've tried two different WinXP machines and it happens on both. Pulling the cable from the BBB end and reseating it doesn't do anything, nor does resetting the BBB with its reset switch.

When I am unable to upload, if I pull the cable from the BBB, loop TX back to RX, and type some characters in a terminal, I see them get echoed back. Doing this also clears up whatever keeps uploads from working.

Any suggestions? Running the IDE on my Linux system works for me, but I'd like to be able to work on my main Windows system.

Thanks,

Matt

You may be running into the same situation that happens with boarduino. The fact that it works with linux is pretty suggestive.

When Windoze does stuff with a COM port, it doesn't always fully reset it. You have to make it do that.

Check this site: http://www.ladyada.net/make/boarduino/use.html Page down to the Arduino-compatibility section. There are step-by-step instructions for handling the COM port settings.

Hope that's it.

Have you tried this

Device Manager → Com Ports → USB Serial Port → Port Settings → Advanced button → Set RTS On Close

I’ve tried to sprinkle this info around my site but apparently need it in a few more places.

Paul Badger

Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close

That fixed it. Thanks!

Great board, by the way. I used female headers on the analog pins and a BlinkM plugs right in. :)