Bare Minimum for Key & microsd in and multifont output

I’m having trouble working out which backlit LEDs are fixed to on-board definitions with on-board sizes for LED output. I need to support Katana, Cyrillic, Pinyin and where appropriate, abugida as well as Latin & Greek as well. In short it’s an ultra low-cost solution so JUST managing the specification is important.

I can remember having to use 12 x 12 pixel fonts for katana but i’m not sure just how big I should budget for. 256 pixels wide by 64 pixels high with 5 (or 6) on-board buttons looks promising and from what I have read, the screens have their own static RAM so only changes need rendering.

I have a truly tiny hardware (including CPU) budget which has seen me staring at code fragments for days trying to speed things up. Put simply, if I can do this on an Arduino Uno M0 (48MHz Cortex M0) rather than an Arduine Due (84MHz Cortex M3) then the project becomes profitable.

I might add that I am not getting the money. The money goes on expending the service worldwide.

I have coded everything from the Intel 4004 to the Elbrus 8S and I have to say that the Thumb instruction set is seldom fun to code. I HAVE however found some tricks people may like to try out.

RORS Rd,Rs

Note that bits [0:7] in Rs are the rotate count (not like 0:4 as you might expect give 0-31 are valid for immediate values). So as an example:

LDR R0,#$28 //read value including a rotate value of $28 (within bits 7:0]

RORS R0,R0 //Rotate entire register using value in bits [7:0]

MOV R0,R0 //Rotate limited by register size [4:0] so get result

The above isn’t an amazing example but I hope people can pick up on the fact that the Shir/Rotate instructions execute if a different manner depending on their second field. I haven’t sat down and worked out a list of what 32-bit values this oddity can calculate but defining a 32-bit value in 32-bits is surely of interest to those wished to make smaller/faster code.

I discussed the M0+ design with joseph yiu and he pointed out that the SBCS using NOTC was to save transistors. That made me wonder just how many transistors a ROR using 8-bits worked. I can only suggest that it must have used ZERO transistors.

I also asked him if the change between v4T & vT5 in it no longer altering C & V was an optimization. He said it was to save transistors.

Steve Furber was also worth an E-mail. He said that the v5T & v6T had to use LESS transistors that original Thumb so they really were going-for-broke in terms of costings.

Other that this SHIFT Rd,Rs (which they said was to save transistors), about the most powerful feature of the design is the asymmetrical PUSH & POP. Ideal for switches in C. You can stack & store PC or unstack and set up IP really fast. I also pointed to the fact that the SP has so many unique addressing modes. I haven’t really used this stuff ‘in anger’ i.e. in code I need to be fast BUT you have to admit that being able to set up R0-R7 & set up PC looks pretty powerful.

I had in fact been annoyed because there is so little that the hi registers can do i.e.

1-Move contents to/from another register.
2-Add contests to another register.
3-Compare contents to another register.

So yes, using SP as a global addressing register makes sense but it also means that debugging might be problematic BUT at least I woke up to a new sense of purpose.

Anyway - a cheap LED screen (ideally one that just plugs in) would very much be appreciated. I am afraid to say I am lost when it comes to hardware.

Many thanks to you all,
CC

PS My signed 32-bit x 32-bit —>64-bit signed result code fragment uses 18 cycles (and 18 Thumb v6T instructions). I’m not asking anyone for anything free but I would appreciate in knowing if someone has found a faster route. The C → bit-16 takes 3 instructions and I have been staring at it for days thinking 'I’m sure a good coder could do a better job).

PPS After A protracted period of coding super-scaler Arm A53 & Arm A57 it it’s come as quite a shock I can tell you. If only I was as famous as Sophie Wilson. She plays a game called ‘Fantasy Instruction Set’ and I’m betting a lot of people on here would love to be given that chance!

Very interesting contribution. Do you have specific questions?

The post seems to be about LEDs and SD cards, at least I think thats what its about .................

But keys ?

What's that smell? It's quite... agricultural.