Basic Arduino software concepts for a newbie.

Hi all,

while I'm waiting to get my first Aduino board, I'd like to clarify some software concepts: If I understand correctly: - The Arduino IDE is a Java app. - The programing language is based on (or is the same as?) Wiring, wich in turn is based on (or is the same as?) Processing, wich is a subset of C++ (or Java?). - BWT, is there a Wiring grammar available somewhere? - The IDE does some syntax checking at edit time, but basically generates C (or C++?) for the underlying GNU toolchain to compile and link?

Regards,

Gerard.

• The Arduino IDE is a Java app.
  • The programing language is based on (or is the same as?) Wiring, wich in turn is based on (or is the same as?) Processing, wich is a subset of C++ (or Java?).

Arduino IDE is a java application, yes. Arduino language is a superset of c++. It's API is based on wiring which is, as you say, inspired by the Processing project. (At least, I think so)

• The IDE does some syntax checking at edit time, but basically generates C (or C++?) for the underlying GNU toolchain to compile and link?

IDE does no syntax checking, it does syntax highlighting. The GNU Compiler does syntax check, and its feedback is routed to the IDE.

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks. :slight_smile: