Basic connection Ethernet Shield + Arduino Duem168

So I've just gotten my Ethernet shield, and have not been able to use it as a client for the last 2 days...It simply won't connect to any IP, I have tried seemingly all different combinations of code...

Hardware : simple ethernet cable into the shield, mounted onto arduino. I'm using USB as a power source.

Software :

byte mac[]     = { 0x00, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
byte ip[]      = { 192, 168, 2, 177 };
Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);

does not work, just like

byte mac[]     = { 0x00, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
byte ip[]      = { 192, 168, 2, 177 };
byte gateway[] = { 192, 168, 2, 1 };
byte subnet[]  = { 255, 255, 255, 0 };
Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, gateway, subnet);

...return a failed connection. I pinged the IP, and have no problem there, it's not taken.

The last thing I am suspicious of...I'm working on this through school, which means that I am connection through (probably) a giant hub of some sort, and do not have access to the 'actual' router I'm connecting to. Any chance this has to do with it? These big institutions usually have a bunch of firewalls, filters, etc...Could it affect my connectivity?

Thanks

These big institutions usually have a bunch of firewalls, filters, etc...Could it affect my connectivity?

Most definitely. There is a sample sketch that responds to ping requests, if I remember correctly. With that sketch running, are you able to ping the Arduino?

Not sure what you mean...this is the list of examples provided by Arduino :

ChatServer
ChatClient
WebClient
WebServer
PachubeCient
BarometricPressureWebServer
UDPSendReceiveString
UdpNtpClient

In all of them I can't get past the connection point.

Thanks!

Is it an 'official' Wiznet 5100 Ethernet shield ? There is another type of ethernet shield sold for the Arduino based on the ENC28J60 chip. The examples do not work with this kind of shield.

Yeah it's the WIZnet 5100 I believe, this is what I got

http://www.iprototype.nl/products/arduino/shields/ethernet

I'll try to connect it somewhere else (personal router) and see if I cant get more luck...