Basic question: Arduino wires

Are the wires which come with the Arduino starter kit made of aluminium and not copper? If so, is that specifically due to aluminium's lack of magnetism, or just to reduce cost?

Strip one of the wires, then try to apply solder to it.
If it takes solder it is tinned copper.
Aluminum reacts as copper in a magnetic field.

Aluminum is as magnetic as copper.

fungus:

Ah ok, thanks. TBH, I rather foolishly thought until now that only Iron, copper and cobalt were magnetic. Does that mean an aluminium wire coil will have the same inductive properties as a copper one?

Elektromag:
Ah ok, thanks. TBH, I rather foolishly thought until now that only Iron, copper and cobalt were magnetic. Does that mean an aluminium wire coil will have the same inductive properties as a copper one?

The magnetic field depends on the number of amps, not the conductor.

Aluminum doesn't bend very well. I doubt your wires are aluminum.

Aluminum has about 1.5 x the unit identical resistance of copper. Or two same dia/length wires one copper and one aluminium will wire will have different values of resistance where the aluminium wire will be approx 50% higher than the copper wire..

Doc

Elektromag:
Are the wires which come with the Arduino starter kit made of aluminium and not copper? If so, is that specifically due to aluminium's lack of magnetism, or just to reduce cost?

Not aluminum, most likely tin plated over copper. A magnet will not attract aluminium or copper, only iron or other ferrous metals.

Elektromag:

fungus:

Iron, nickel, and cobalt.

Not much uses aluminum for wires these days, copper is better in most every application (better conductor). Also there was a problem of Al wires causing electrical fires in walls iirc.

If you are making a coil for an inductor, just use solid copper wire. It will hold its shape. If you are worried about it bending out of shape after, use hot glue.

Jiggy-Ninja:

Elektromag:

fungus:

Iron, nickel, and cobalt.

And gadolinium... And many alloys.

I think unobtanium is often used in electro-magnetic systems

jackrae:
I think unobtanium is often used in electro-magnetic systems

Only for zero point energy systems.