Basic question...

I am starting out Arduino on a wireless charging program.

Basically, I have a 12V 1A output transformer, normally connecting to 1 wireless charging device. But now I need to expand it into 4 wireless charging devices - simultaneously charging. The charging time is not important, as I would need to keep it at 12V 1A. Is that theoretically possible, or am I stressing out too much from the transformer?

caineroad:
Is that theoretically possible, or am I stressing out too much from the transformer?

It would depend on how much current each 'wireless charging device' is taking.

I would need to keep it at 12V 1A.

Eh? Why? What does this even mean?

You need a power supply (what you have is unlikely to be a transformer) that can supply at least the maximum current drawn by the 4 wireless chargers. To do that you need to know how much current they draw. To find that you need to measure it.

Thanks for the two above comments. The same question is depending on how much current each wireless devices draw at peak.

The reason for same 1A power supply is because is not required to be fast charging, and to get 4A version will be extra expenses. Each wireless device is designed to draw 1A at peak. So theoretically they could draw up to 4A, will there be any issue of using 1A power supply?

caineroad:
So theoretically they could draw up to 4A, will there be any issue of using 1A power supply?

Strange question.

Do you really think a 1A supply can provide 4A ?

4A is not required as mentioned, if it could get by with 1A that’s the plan. But obviously don’t want any explosive issue

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled “How to use this Forum”.
OR

I think you need to understand that the source can only supply 1A at 12V, if you connect a 4A load the output voltage will drop and the transformer will begin to over heat (unless you fit a fuse in the 12V output line).

Is the “12V 1A transformer” just a transformer supplying AC and needing a rectifier, filter caps and a voltage regulator.
OR
Is the “12V 1A transformer” a complete power supply outputting 12V and rated at 1A.

Can you post a link to the “transformer” please?

Just dropping the input volt or limiting the input current to the wireless chargers will not lower their output.

Tom… :slight_smile:

caineroad:
4A is not required as mentioned, if it could get by with 1A that’s the plan. But obviously don’t want any explosive issue

Any decent power supply will have current limiting built in to protect it against overload and damage. A cheap, nasty power supply might not. So try it, no one here can tell you if it will be ok or not. If it goes up in smoke you know you had a cheap, nasty power supply.

Me, I'd get an appropriate power supply.

So in other words, is better off getting a larger than enough power supply for example 4A or even 5A, my concern is if a wireless devices decide to draw more than 1A for any reason, will need something to protect it from burning.

ill need something to protect it from burning.

Any decent power supply does not need protection from overload because it will have protection built in. If you want to find out about your existing power supply put a short on the output, if it's any good it will withstand that indefinitely, if it's crap it will go up in smoke either immediately or after some time. If you try this be ready for smoke and to lose the power supply.

You should use a power supply rated for at least 20% more than the expected maximum load, and if you buy a cheap power supply from China you should expect that it can only supply half the current claimed.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.