Battery connection problem

Hello,
I don't know whether to post this in the robotics or science and measurement forum, but I'll post it here.
First of all, I have an Arduino 101 that takes sensor data and relays it over Bluetooth to the Adafruit bluefruit app. It has an Adafruit motor shield on it and 2 gearbox motors attached. The shield has it's own 6V power source. Now, this is working well and there are no problems when connected to the computer, or even when it is plugged in via USB to an electrical plug. However, when I use a 9V battery to power my Arduino, no sensor data is transmitted over bluetooth, yet the bluefruit app lists the Arduino as connectable and I theoretically can connect to it but I can't manipulate anything from the app.

PS I'm a newb so just ask about something if I'm dumb and forget to describe it.
Also, I have read the "How to use this forum" in case you're asking, hopefully this is okay.

Perhaps the 9V battery can't supply enough current?

I tried a fresh 9V battery but it doesn't make a difference.

I tried another one and it worked! Thanks so much!

Don't expect 9V block batteries to last long (a few tens of minutes at best). Much better to use 6xAA or a plug power supply.

jremington:
Don't expect 9V block batteries to last long (a few tens of minutes at best). Much better to use 6xAA or a plug power supply.

I don't think the 9V battery is powering the motors, just the Arduino and BT, which it should be able to handle (50 or 60mA?)

Tbot1000:
I tried another one and it worked! Thanks so much!

After writing reply#3, this should suggest to you that it worked due to good luck rather than good management, and probably not for long.