Battery for my board.

Im trying to find a 12V battery to power a decilima board. I was going to get at 12V rechargable but they all come with different AH ratings. 2.2AH, 5.0AH etc. I was wondering what value I should look for? Is there a specific online store that sells batterys that work well with the board or can I just use any battery?

Thanks,
Ian

Im trying to find a 12V battery to power a decilima board. I was going to get at 12V rechargable but they all come with different AH ratings. 2.2AH, 5.0AH etc. I was wondering what value I should look for? Is there a specific online store that sells batterys that work well with the board or can I just use any battery?

Thanks,
Ian

The Ah rating is the capacity of the battery in Amp-hours. It depends how long your project needs to run on a charge and how much power it takes. 1 Ah means it can supply 1 amp (1000mA) for 1 hour.

The Dieci board alone takes about 40mA, so a 2.2Ah battery will power it for 2200/40 = 55 Hours.

You also have to factor in what else you’re powering (LEDs are about 20mA, motors are a few amps, etc)

So, the right battery depends what you’re doing with it.

OHHHHHH, I see. Thanks for that, I was really confused as to what that value was. Also I just realized I can plug my servoes into the arduino power, I thought I was going to have to power them seperatly. Thanks for the help :).

… Also I just realized I can plug my servoes into the arduino power, I thought I was going to have to power them seperatly

Although the 5 volts is ok for servos, the regulator on the Arduino may not have enough power, depending on how many servos and how much current they take. Try it, but if the servo operation is eratic or the arduino resets then you may need a seperate supply.

do you have any reccomendations on good batter brands? or sites to get them from? Im thinking I should get NiMH rechargables. Is that a good idea?

do you have any reccomendations on good batter brands? or sites to get them from? Im thinking I should get NiMH rechargables. Is that a good idea?

I typically use basic NiMH AA’s. Rayovac, Energizer, and Duracell are pretty much equal.

Thans for your help Oracle and mem, your quick replies have been very helpfull for me. One last question, do you know of any good online stores to get batterys? I’ve been searhing a lot but can’t even find a store where I can get NiMH’s AND a charger.