battery operated digital clock

hello friends, i wish to make a digital clock.for display purpose i have plan to use seven segment display or 16*2 LCD display or led scrolling display(if there is any other convenient display method then please suggest me).The issue is that i wish to operate it using a battery. Any one can suggest me a method or circuit to last battery for a long time as like in wrist watches(or like AA battery operated clock)...i expect all the suggestion on this project from you...all opinion,drawbacks and suggesttions are valuable for me.. thank you very much......

Right off the top, an LCD display is much lower power drain than a LED display which would be important since you are running off a battery. Many LCD displays have a backlight that you could set up to turn on for say 5 seconds if you push a button so you could read it at night.

Any one can suggest me a method or circuit to last battery for a long time as like in wrist watches.

Arduino and LCD/LEDs, not going to happen.

LarryD: Arduino and LCD/LEDs, not going to happen. .

Well, true if you want to use a watch type battery. LarryD is correct in that an arduino even by itself is much more power hungry than a watch. Depends on how big a battery you are talking and how long you want it to run from that battery. There are a number of processor chips out there (I am more familiar with the PIC ones) that can operate down in the microamp range but you also have to run them with a slower clock (like the 32khz crystal typically used for watches).

gpsmikey: Depends on how big a battery you are talking and how long you want it to run from that battery. There are a number of processor chips out there (I am more familiar with the PIC ones) that can operate down in the microamp range but you also have to run them with a slower clock (like the 32khz crystal typically used for watches).

hello friends thanks for yout reply,,, not only watch watch cell battery i can use AA battery or 9v multimeter battery. i also wish to include a pir motion sensor attached with the clock, so the clock will work only when there is a person in the room.....but can you tell me how long the watch can work maximum?

LarryD: Arduino and LCD/LEDs, not going to happen.

sir can you suggest any other modules to make a clock our self?

You will have to investigate the various hardware out there and determine the current they require. You can then determine what size battery you need to supply the power for the time you want. As for a PIR sensor, that is going to add more power requirements AND it only detects someone when they are moving in the room. They sit down etc, it will probably not see them.

gpsmikey: You will have to investigate the various hardware out there and determine the current they require. You can then determine what size battery you need to supply the power for the time you want. As for a PIR sensor, that is going to add more power requirements AND it only detects someone when they are moving in the room. They sit down etc, it will probably not see them.

ok sir thanks fir your reply