Battery overheating

Im making a project in which I need a 12 V power supply but the car I bought only came with a battery box of 4 x 1.5 V batteries , so I bought another battery box and connected the two boxes in series(red wire of first box to black wire of second box)
but we faced another problem , I had to attach the battery vcc and ground wires to a switch so we soldered the wires to the switch and got another 2 jumpers which we also soldered to the switch to act as the new vcc and ground

can somebody help and tell me what should I do to know where the error is?

It looks like you are switching a dead short across your battery.
The switch should be one end to the positive and the other end is the Vcc. The ground, the negative of the second battery, should not be switched but connected to the ground of the whole system.

Hi,
Do you have a DMM to measure circuit values?

Disconnect the black, blue and orange wires from the switch.
Leave the red connected where it is.

Move the orange wire to where the black and blue wires were on the switch.

Then you will find you will have a switching circuit between the black which is negative and the orange which will be the positive.
You do not need the blue.
OPs Pic.

Tom.. :slight_smile:
PS, Thankyou for the clear picture. :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
It looks like you are switching a dead short across your battery.
The switch should be one end to the positive and the other end is the Vcc. The ground, the negative of the second battery, should not be switched but connected to the ground of the whole system.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Do you have a DMM to measure circuit values?

Disconnect the black, blue and orange wires from the switch.
Leave the red connected where it is.

Move the orange wire to where the black and blue wires were on the switch.

Then you will find you will have a switching circuit between the black which is negative and the orange which will be the positive.
You do not need the blue.
OPs Pic.

Tom.. :slight_smile:
PS, Thankyou for the clear picture. :slight_smile:

Thanks to both of you , I really appreciate this <3