Battery pack accident ?> Arduino not responding

I accidentally crossed some wires in my Duemilanove setup and now the board won't communicate with my Mac over USB. In total, it could be a 27V error (3 9V batteries were connected to each other. Not sure which wires crossed.)

Attempting to upload results in the following error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Prior to this accident, the board was working perfectly. Any suggestions?

Does you computer recognize the Arduino when it's first plugged into the PC and gets assigned a comm port number?

Lefty

Yes, it gets identified, and communication is attempted—I can see the Rx light on Arduino blink falteringly, but it doesn't give the standard Tx/Rx blink patterns. And of course the above error message is displayed.

I would say you fried your voltage regulator, which in turn fried your ATMega, unfortunately ..

You could try buying another ATMega with a bootloader on it, as a cheap and easy fix?

Hm, thanks. I’m guessing I would need to replace the voltage regulator as well?

I would remove the ATMega and measure the voltage, if it's anything but 5V I would say it's dead.

Thanks, Things. Just to clarify—you're talking about measuring the voltage from the Arduino 5V line? If so, what would this demonstrate, given that USB puts out 5V too?

unplug it from usb, plug in an external adapter and test the voltage regulator with the AT chip removed

I would say you fried your voltage regulator, which in turn fried your ATMega, unfortunately ..

Well the on-board regulator only functions when using external power, it is blocked and USB power is used directly otherwise. The fact that the PC sees the board is a good sign.

Next test is to see if the comm link is fully functional. Wire a jumper between arduino ground pin and reset pin, or just remove the processor chip from it's socket. Wire a jumper from pin 0 to pin 1. Now plug in board to PC, launch Arduino IDE, click on serial monitor. Now type in the output window and send, what you typed should be echoed back into the recieve window. If that works ok then most likely the only thing bad is the processor chip. Not worth fooling around with unless you already have and know how to use a hardware programmer. Just buy a new 328 chip with bootloader and swap out with your processor chip. After you have a functioning board on USB, then you can try external power and if doesn't power up the board, then you can think about replacement of the regulator, but it kind of depends on your soldering skills and experiance.

Lefty

Will do—thanks for all your help.

The computer will still recognize it because the FTDI USB interface doesn't rely on battery power, so most likely wouldn't have been fried. If what Lefty says doesn't work, your ATMega is dead :frowning:

The computer will still recognize it because the FTDI USB interface doesn't rely on battery power, so most likely wouldn't have been fried.

Actually on a Duemilanove the FTDI and AVR Processor both receive +5vdc voltage from the same source, either the USB buss or external power if plugged in. http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-duemilanove-schematic.pdf

The newer Seeeduino boards (at least my Mega board) use a different method, a manual switch to select USB or External power, plus their FTDI chip is powered straight from (and only from) the USB port. Saves current consumption when using external battery power.

Lefty