Battery power with displays.?

I have built with Arduino a clock/calender which has a 16x20 LCD display, a 4 Digit LCD display for time display and a clock/timer chip which maintains its settings with a coin battery. I have tried powering the setup with 6 Eneloop batteries in series but it ran out of pwer in one day. I am looking for recommendations for a more suitable battery which would have a longer life before a recharge is required.

What are "6 Eneloop batteries " and their current rating?

Nowadays power banks are very common and cheap enough to get. If you get one that is rated at 10,000mAh, hook it up to Arduino USB port, you are good for a long time:

10,000mAh*5V=50,000mAh. If your arduino uses 500mA current, that is 100 hours (estimate), 4 days. Find out how much current your arduino draws and you will get a better estimate. With a 16*2 (maybe not 20) display, don't burn the back light too bright. You only need it to be visible in the dark, so try a 300ohm resistor in series to cut down power consumption. I bet about 20 days can be achieved.

CrossRoads: What are "6 Eneloop batteries " and their current rating?

Found this after a google eneloop batteries

It may actually be worth trying fewer of them. at 1.2v each, 6 would give you 7.2v. Since the regulator on the arduino will dissipate the extra voltage as heat. It will draw more current than if you were to just have 5 in the circuit. Consequently, 5 may last longer than 6.

KenF: Found this after a google eneloop batteries

It may actually be worth trying fewer of them. at 1.2v each, 6 would give you 7.2v. Since the regulator on the arduino will dissipate the extra voltage as heat. It will draw more current than if you were to just have 5 in the circuit. Consequently, 5 may last longer than 6.

A regular arduino needs 7V for its voltage regulator to work. 5 batteries will not work. Even if it works, I don't get your 5 lasts longer than 6 argument.