Battery Powering Arduino Pro Mini 5v

Hi,
I'm looking to power the arduino pro mini 5v with fabrickit Coin Cell Brick arduino (fabrickit Coin Cell Brick - DEV-11258 - SparkFun Electronics). I have experience using the uno but not much with the pro mini. With the uno you could just plug it into the vin pin and gnd and then use the 5v for the power output. However, with the pro mini there is only the vcc. do you have to split the pin and use one for input in one for output, or do you use the other vcc pin? if so then how do you upload information to it?
Thanks
Eyan219

The power pins are as follows:

RAW. For supplying a raw voltage to the board. 3.35 -12 V (3.3V model) or 5 - 12 V (5V model)
VCC. The regulated 3.3 or 5 volt supply.
GND. Ground pins.

You connect fabrickit Coin Cell Brick arduino to the VCC since it is regulated 5 volt supply.

A six pin header can be connected to an FTDI cable or Sparkfun breakout board to provide USB power and communication to the board.

upload information to it using FTDI cable with the six pin header.

I understand that but, there are two vcc pins on the board. Do I connect one to the battery and one to the board? one of the vcc pins connects to the ftdi cable which is the issue. So do I use both and block one of the pins, or do I spilt one of the pins and keep the other one exclusively for the ftdi?

Both Vcc pins connected together, you can use any one of them. But I suggest keep FTDI Header exclusively for the FTDI.

Thanks so much!
So just to clarify I could run a wire out of one vcc pin and split it? and then connect one half to the bread board and one half to the battery?

Yes, one vcc pin and split it and then connect one half to the bread board and one half to the fabrickit Coin Cell Brick arduino.

So I connected the 5v coin brick cell, the light on the arduino will go on when the battery is plugged in or out but the arduino will not work, is this because I should be using more than 5v?

Only +5V should connected to Vcc pins, if you have higher then 5V, than you have to connect to Raw input pin.

When you say "arduino will not work" but what is not working? have you upload a Sketches? may be you can try the Blink example sketche.

eyan219:
So I connected the 5v coin brick cell, the light on the arduino will go on when the battery is plugged in or out but the arduino will not work, is this because I should be using more than 5v?

No. Those things work with anything from 5V down to about 3V on Vcc (the chip will work down to 1.8V but not at 16MHz).

If you have more than 5V it needs to go to "RAW".

I'd power it directly from the 3V coin cell. The datasheet only guarantees up to 12.5Mhz @3v, but I have yet to hear of anyone having problems running 16Mhz @3v.
I'd avoid the arduino core as the millis timer will quickly drain the battery. Here's some tips on stretching your battery from Sparkfun:
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/309