Before i waste time and money...

Basically I’ve got an idea to automate something to help me in my daily life not because i’m lazy but due to being injured. But before i go blowing time and money on all the components I thought i’d ask the experts. I’m pretty sure it is possible but i’d rather know for sure.

basically I need the Arduino to be be able to do the following:

if button pressed then
run motor 1 3600 steps
pause for half a second then run motor 2 800 steps
pause for half a second then reverse motor 2 800 steps
pause for half a second then reverse motor 1 3600 steps
then sit idle and await an input

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Tekit

It should be doable with an Arduino and appropriate stepper motors. There are several places to go for help on the stepper motors, here is the adafruit tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-arduino-lesson-16-stepper-motors/overview.

I haven't controlled stepper motors myself, but from the number of wires needed, you want at least a full size Uno (i.e. microprocessors with just a few pins like the Adafruit Trinket won't be able to easily drive stepper motors).

Trinket can control two servos easily. There is a small bot on learn.adafruit.com with two servos and there have been posts of other small Trinket bots.

TheKitty:
Trinket can control two servos easily. There is a small bot on learn.adafruit.com with two servos and there have been posts of other small Trinket bots.

However an off the shelf servo will only go 1/2 rotation (180 degrees). You can get servos that are modified for continuous rotation, but there you don’t have the precise control (you control the continuous rotation servo’s speed and direction, but it may not give you the fine control that the OP seemed to want).

Well... Op did not say anything about Tiny85 or any suggestion that a non-Arduino is anything s/he wanted. Many in the forum know of your association with Adafruit, but I think it is inappropriate for you to run around and post about Trinket. Yes, you have a bunch of Trinket tutorials and maybe you even get paid for such, but such posts (in my opinion) only confuse newbees and add little to answering the primary need. Trinket is an appropriate response for HID, V-USB, and those instances where non-Arduino approaches is requested by Op or would fulfill a specific project/architectural perspective.

To any prospective Trinket purchasers... Please review the many, many issues that Arduino GUI users have had with this product. The forum posts will tell a sorted tale, plus no Linux support. https://forums.adafruit.com/viewforum.php?f=52

Opinion by Ray

@tekit, it would be a good idea if you explain what the overall project is intended to do. Many newcomers here have started with "clear" ideas of how to solve problems only to find (based on the experience of people here) that their goal could be achieved more easily or more cheaply by different means.

If you need to use stepper motors please please take the time to understand how proper stepper motor drivers (for example Pololu A4988 or Gecko) are far superior to h-bridge drivers such as an L298. The proper drivers also work with fewer Arduino pins.

...R

mrburnette: To any prospective Trinket purchasers... Please review the many, many issues that Arduino GUI users have had with this product. The forum posts will tell a sorted tale, plus no Linux support.

I think you meant a "sordid" tale!

Unless you mean well-organised ... :D

I think you meant a "sordid" tale!

:fearful:

Ray

Robin2: If you need to use stepper motors please please take the time to understand how proper stepper motor drivers (for example Pololu A4988 or Gecko) are far superior to h-bridge drivers such as an L298. The proper drivers also work with fewer Arduino pins.

Robin, I didn't even realise you could use an l298 for stepper motors, I thought they were for regular continuous motors.

How are the drivers you mention superior to a uln2803, or if you can't spare 8 Arduino outputs, a tpic6c595?

tekit, how big/powerful will these motors need to be? Will they need to lift you, for example?

PaulRB: How are the drivers you mention superior to a uln2803, or if you can't spare 8 Arduino outputs, a tpic6c595?

I don't know what the tpic... is and you didn't provide a link.

The A4988 (and similar) stepper drivers are completely different from the uln2803 which is just a collection of transistors. You should take the time to read and compare their specifications before you spend money. One of the main advantages of the A4988 is that it can limit the current in the motor so that much higher voltages can be use to give better high speed torque. The other advantage is that it does all the complicated step current sequencing and just needs two connections from the Arduino - step and direction.

And you are quite right, the L298 is primarily for DC motors.

...R

You can think of the tpic6c595 as a combination of a 74595 and the uln2803, in other words a shift register with high current sink outputs. A usefull general purpose chip, not a purpose built stepper driver.

Tekit, don't be put off by this technical discussion. We're just chatting while you come back with some answers!

automate something to help me in my daily life

That is a very vague statement for soliciting help. The arduino can control stepper motors and probably in the method you desire. Probably lots of stepper motor projects and code available for study. Will the below stepper motor do what you need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Stepper-Step-Motor-Driver-Board-ULN2003-28BYJ-48-For-Arduino-High-Quality-/271440795942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f3321d926