Beginner looking for advice

Hello all,

I am totally new to this and looking for some guidance regarding my ambitious project.
Sorry in advance for the fact that i am probably going to ask a question that is lacking allot of basic knowledge. I hope i am posting this in the right section.

My question is this: Is it possible to use Arduino for receiving audio from a small microphone and sending it to a device through bluetooth or wifi.
This wont be used for some kind of clap trigger, it really has to send audio so that a program can work with recognising certain frequencies withint the audio.

Regardless of how difficult or time consuming it will be, i would like to know if it is possible.

Thank you!

Unlikely. Sending audio by wireless media means digitizing the audio, and I don’t think that the ADC in most arduino boards is fast enough to work, and the ADC is only 10-bits. Yes, you might get recognizable sound when you convert the digital back to analog, but since you didn’t describe your project, any alternate solutions would only be guessing.

A RaspberryPi would probably be a better starting point.

...R

Is simply using a bluetooth microphone an option?

SteveMann:
Unlikely. Sending audio by wireless media means digitizing the audio, and I don’t think that the ADC in most arduino boards is fast enough to work, and the ADC is only 10-bits. Yes, you might get recognizable sound when you convert the digital back to analog, but since you didn’t describe your project, any alternate solutions would only be guessing.

I see.

The project requires a small device to send a short (about 10 seconds) recorded audio file to a phone via bleutooth or wifi. The app will recognize the audio and if needed will send a signal back that will trigger a vibration, with for a example a small vibration motor.
The whole things needs to be small and also completely wireless, so another problem i need to figure out would be a battery. Apreciate the reply.

Robin2:
A RaspberryPi would probably be a better starting point.

…R

Thanks, il look into that.

ocrdu:
Is simply using a bluetooth microphone an option?

Recording and bluetooth is just a part of what the device needs to do eventually. I have searched for some but most of them are to big, and it will need to be connected with some sort of board wich will be controlled by an app.

Your project is still an almost complete mystery. Now, you want voice recognition?

If you define your project in detail, you will get more responses.

SteveMann:
Your project is still an almost complete mystery. Now, you want voice recognition?

If you define your project in detail, you will get more responses.

Yes it will need voice recognition.

So the point is to make is a device that will respond to certain sounds (like voice recognition) with a vibration motor. For example when someone say's "pizzapie" it will trigger the device to vibrate.

I want to make it wireless and controllable with an app hence the bluetooth/wifi. The device eventually needs an onboard rechargeable power source instead of an external power source.

Hope this is a bit more clear. Apologies if it is not :sweat_smile:

The Teensy 3 series at pjrc.com have ARM chips and better audio capabilities. So does the Due but it's nothing like fastest.

There are speech recognition chips and likely boards if you want to save loads of time.

GoForSmoke:
The Teensy 3 series at pjrc.com have ARM chips and better audio capabilities. So does the Due but it's nothing like fastest.

There are speech recognition chips and likely boards if you want to save loads of time.

That looks promising, thanks.

You do know that this project is not beginner work?
Whatever you didn't learn is likely to bite you, like has already happened with that matrix.

GoForSmoke:
You do know that this project is not beginner work?
Whatever you didn't learn is likely to bite you, like has already happened with that matrix.

Yes I figured as much. It will be my main goal. I understand that I will have to work my way up to that goal by doing other projects first. At least now I'm figuring out that maybe arduino is not the way to go for this project, and therefor maybe not the kind of board to start with.

I would invite you to read HOW TO USE THIS FORUM.
it is located as a sticky post at the top of every forum.

I think #6 is about subject lines.

of the thousands of people on the forum, there are groups who excel at motors or sensors, or code, or.... sound.

you don't need to talk to motor guys, you need to talk to those who know about microphones. that is the goal of a good subject line.

dave-in-nj:
I would invite you to read HOW TO USE THIS FORUM.
it is located as a sticky post at the top of every forum.

I think #6 is about subject lines.

of the thousands of people on the forum, there are groups who excel at motors or sensors, or code, or.... sound.

you don't need to talk to motor guys, you need to talk to those who know about microphones. that is the goal of a good subject line.

HI, thank you. I already did read it. I am nowhere near far enough to be specific about what I exactly need to know about microphones, chips, motors or even what board to use. I just have a general idea of how I think my project should work eventually. The project is not only based on sound, motors or code, this is why the general project guidance seemed like a good place to start and ask if anyone has ever done this before of if it is even possible.

But I get what you are saying, and I will come up with more specific questions to ask and base my subject line on that.

Already by the answer I got from this I am learning, so thank you.

And somewhere along the way you make each part of the big project work.

Putting them together... learn the "Do Many Things At The Same Time" lesson, it not only makes putting them together easier but it makes them working together possible.

How long it takes has a lot to do with how serious you get. Hey, you might have other things to do too.

GoForSmoke:
And somewhere along the way you make each part of the big project work.

Putting them together... learn the "Do Many Things At The Same Time" lesson, it not only makes putting them together easier but it makes them working together possible.

How long it takes has a lot to do with how serious you get. Hey, you might have other things to do too.

Hey thanks man, I get what you are saying. All the smaller projects matter to make the final product work at its best.

I am willing to put the work in, I feel that this project idea that I have could potentially really help people.

Right now I am starting with the basics, learning C and doing starter kits, reading and browsing YouTube for project related to my idea.

There is a whole manual's worth of references, tutorials and examples on the Arduino main site. You should have links in the greenish bar at the top of this web page. When you open your IDE you can also open a browser and enough tabs to have instant help on whatever you code.